Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    This information is just so helpful, can't thank you all enough! smile

O
    O
    Surfbaby- I PM'd you.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by surfbaby
    1. I worry that telling him he may have this diagnosis will give him a reason to resist these things even more?
    2. Since he is highly gifted, how does this effort (or inability to put forth effort) vs. academic aptitude thing work out through the middle school and teen years?
    3. Do I need a diagnosis or can I just have him work with someone (or me) using strategies?

The trick is to really get explicit about the difference between explanation and excuse. The explanation is incredibly important, because he (and you and his teachers) need to really, really appreciate that he is trying to do something terribly hard for him, for which he doesn't have the skills, and where he needs explicit, repetitive teaching of these skills, as well as supports to make up for their absence/ weakness (supports which can hopefully, slowly, be reduced over time - but are essential to start). All of you have to truly believe that he is not lazy, and no, he really couldn't if he just tried harder.

But that's no excuse. He's got to own that weakness. He needs to recognize what it is, how it affects him, and that it's his responsibility to do something about it. He needs to accept that he has to do things differently, ask for help, take longer, etc. It's not his fault that he is struggling. But it is his responsibility to do something about it.

With my DS, the avoiding work that's too hard because of LDs has fed a nasty cycle of avoiding effort when effort hurts. The hurt is legitimate, but the avoiding hard stuff is deadly. We're working very, very hard to undo this, and it would be a lot easier if we'd realized just what a vicious cycle this was, a whole lot sooner. Unfortunately, avoidance worked beautifully for him right up to middle school. For years, too many teachers let him get away with not getting stuff done because they knew the work was far too easy for him, while producing the output was very hard. argh. Now, the work finally isn't make-work. It's engaging, appropriate and challenging. And he has no ability to get it done. Yes, it does hurt. You have to do it anyways. It's your responsibility to work with the adults around you to find ways that work for you to enable you to get. the. work. DONE.

Highly gifted without work ethic is a recipe for trouble. Throw in unremediated LDs that the child has never learned to properly manage, and you have disaster.

You have enough questions that I would strongly recommend a full psych assessment if you can possibly manage it. You need to know where the challenges are in order to address them properly. Sooner is always way better than later. In the meantime though, Smart but Scattered (mentioned above) can help understand what some of the blocks are, and how they can be addressed. As a previous poster noted, good executive function is essential to, well, pretty much everything.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks so much Platypus101 - I will def take all your advice!!!! smile Makes perfect sense.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Platypus101, post upthread, 2nd paragraph
    He's got to own that weakness. He needs to recognize what it is, how it affects him, and that it's his responsibility to do something about it. He needs to accept that he has to do things differently, ask for help, take longer, etc. It's not his fault that he is struggling. But it is his responsibility to do something about it.
    Highly gifted without work ethic is a recipe for trouble. Throw in unremediated LDs that the child has never learned to properly manage, and you have disaster.
    Well said! smile

I
    I
    For item #5 in the OP, you may want to look up Omphalophobia.

T
    T
    Thank you platypus, that was such a helpful post.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM