Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Okay I've been trying to piece together different puzzle pieces for about 10 years for my son and we've gotten various alternative and conventional therapies for different things over the years. He is 11 now and a lot of his "issues" have improved, but he still has some lingering:

1. Auditory: Just did auditory processing disorder testing done and is in normal range (no APD dx) for everything hearing wise and greatly accelerated in language portion. BUT often has to make the speaker (outside of family) repeat what they are saying. Everything else listening seems fine, just that one thing and I think once he is further into a conversation it gets better. The initial hearing is always a fail though.

2. Vestibular: Has a "mild" Vestibular Dysfunction dx ... spinning is intolerable and gets motion sickness in cars. But the OT doesn't see a need to continue therapy.

3. Emotional regulation : This has gotten a lot better over the years. Now the only time it really erupts is in soccer games (when things are not going well or so perceived). Always on way to games he thinks he will be fine but in midst or toward end/after game he falls apart. My theory is the increased adrenaline makes it extra hard to self regulate and think clearly of strategies.

4. Fidgeting/Tics. Since age 5 tics but never severe. In past year has incorporated "drumming" and knuckle cracking by making fists. I never have discovered the reason for the tics but have had an underlying suspicion that his nervous system is just too overactive. Anxiety runs in one side of the family but I wouldn't say he really is generally anxious. But can't lay still like for a yoga savanna with eyes closed if his life depended on it.

5. Weird belly button sensitivity!! Apparently even talking about the belly button makes him extremely frustrated and uncomfortable. It isn't debilitating per se but it is a big source of aggravation that he tries to ignore. Past year or two, just found out. Caused by anything touching BB (or the thought of it).

6. He has been tested various times over the years and is in gifted or highly gifted range and is in SSA for math but he is LAZY. This is not an issue of he is not being challenged etc. He abhors the idea of "effort" and "work" and "homework" and "studying" ... is this a symptom of something??? Sometimes I think it is related to the auditory and emotional regulation problems ... just not putting the effort in to listen enough or control the emotions. Ex: If a reward is given he will not cry during a soccer game! He gets good grades but it seems like he is putting forth very little effort for them and acting like he is working so hard (like a tiny worksheet for homework is arduous, and it really isn't even time consuming it is just "effort").

I know this is all over the place, but we've tried so many things and I am just wondering where to go next. Brain Balance??? Very hesitant. OT again?? Just ignore it all and hope for the best?

S
    S
    Just had to lol at the belly button thing. I am so grossed out by my belly button being touched and I remember that book "The Belly Button Book" from when DS was little and it made me feel queasy just to read. I also have tons of trouble with motion sickness, I always have to drive and forget sitting backwards on the train! I don't know about most of this stuff, but number 6 is how I felt in school (and still do with paperwork or filling out forms) and I have mild ADHD. Concentrating on something boring makes me feel physically sick. And almost all of school was boring for me, so I was a poor student. When I got to college and was able to choose what I was interested in and select only courses without homework requirements I did very well. I found a job where I get to be active and drive between locations throughout the day and it's perfect for me. If I had to balance a checkbook I'd probably be in tears by the end and yelling and throwing things, but I don't consider myself lazy in general just because it takes me so much effort. And I never balance a checkbook.

P
    P
    In our house, 1, 3 and 6 seem to be heavily associated with (inattentive) ADHD.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the responses ... I will def look into ADHD. If there is anyone else who has input, would love to hear as well. Thank you smile

S
    S
    I just adding on a voice confirming sounds suspicious of ADHD. Especially #6, but calling it "lazy" is unfair and damaging to the whole family. I recommend the book "The Explosive Child" (poorly named, definitely worth reading!!!) and the corresponding website livesinthebalance.org

D
    D
    The sensory, ticcing, and attention issues together may suggest autism spectrum disorders, but one would need to know a lot more about social functioning.

There is no science behind Brain Balance. I'd suggest a real evaluation with a neuropsychologist, so you'd know what the issues are more concretely.

B
    B
    The belly button aversion reminds me of my son's aversion to gum chewing. If anyone even looks like they "might" be chewing gum he is grossed out. He can spot a gum chewer in a crowd of a dozen people in a few seconds. In his case I believe it's "misophonia" though which is a recognized phenomenon.

Does he have any hyperactivity? Focus issues? If so, look into ADHD? He also may have some executive functioning difficulties (the emotional dysregulation and lack of effort w/ work can tie into this).

T
    T
    I do not think you are going to find a nice pat syndrome name for that. I could write a similar list for my ten year old and have given up looking. Though they did tell us if we wanted it, we could have an ADHD diagnosis right away, but we refused, since he functions alright without medication and he wouldn't get accommodations in school anyway since he is doing so well academically.

It personally helps me to think of it from a functional perspective: stuff that looks like ADHD (or executive function delay, as I think it should be called, you may quote me in medical journals, thank you very much) I read up on how to help a kid with that specific EF problem. With stuff that looks more like ASD, I read up on that, same for stuff that looks more like SPD.

However, I do believe that now they are approaching adolescence, they will have to find the motivation themselves to work on their issues.

For instance, concerning vestibular issues, the OT told us he did not need any more OT when he was seven, but it took him till he was 9 to learn how to pump a swing and he only found the motivation because he realized his baby sister, four years younger, could do it!

With his screaming whenever he needs to touch wet fabric, I have to admit that I shouted back that touching wet laundry in order to hang it up or put it in the dryer is a life skill he needs to handle before he moves out, so he better start pulling himself together and practice. Well, guess that touches the emotional self regulation angle as well.

I guess when he makes his own money and still can't handle touching wet fabric, he can buy himself one of these washer dryer combinations that consumer portals always say keep breaking down. Until then, he better learn.

C
    C
    Two ideas for wet fabric....gloves or drop off laundry service.

E
    E
    I remember that my mother bought me a meatball shaper so I could help her cook without touching raw meat with my fingers. I outgrew it eventually. I bet your kid will outgrow the wet-fabric thing, too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM