Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Why Young Girls Don't Think They Are Smart Enough
    January 26, 2017
    By Andrei Cimpian and Sarah-Jane Leslie
    New York Times

Originally Posted by article
    When we asked children to guess which of four children, two boys and two girls, would get the best grades in school, girls picked mostly other girls. In other words, the girls we tested were aware that girls do better in school than boys, but that didn’t change their ideas about who’s “smart.”
    The authors observed that children's perceptions did not vary by SES, and that more positive role models of brilliant women, and a more equal distribution of household chores are protective factors... exposing children to these early and consistently may help balance their perceptions and career aspirations.

Related post in Research forum: research published in the journal Science, AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science)

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Portia, excellent questions!

I've been puzzling over those questions since I read them... I can only wonder whether it may be possible that in seeing moms/women doing more household chores and dads/men doing fewer chores (therefore thinking in a child-like way that dads/men must be "smarter" to get out of work)... might this carry over to school as a belief that boys are "smarter"... even while girls earn higher grades...?

This seems to fit with the research finding that when a game was described as being for those who are "really, really smart" girls tended to not be interested to play the game... but when the same game was described as being for those who "work hard" girls tended to be interested to play.

Children observing that moms/women do most of the household chores also seems consistent with these children adopting the stereotype that moms/women/girls are "nice".

S
    S
    I would think it might have more to do with social values. Hard work is an important social value (more indicative of society's view of a successful female) where as often girls are socially ostracized pretty early on if they are considered overly intelligent.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM