Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    My DS is in first grade. His school in Indiana uses the NWEA map test for first grade. He was placed in advanced math in Kindergarten. His NWEA scores for first grade are:
    Fall 194 Math, Fall 179 Reading, Winter 210 Math, Winter 190 Reading

We haven't been advised of his percentile placement and won't until mid-February. I was advised earlier in the year that his Math score was 99th percentile and that the score in Math qualified him for advanced math but may also qualify him for the high ability program in our school system depending on how he does in his reading assessment. He hit his Spring '17 RIT in Math, in reading his RIT is 196 for Spring however placement in the program happens in mid-February.

I am trying to figure out what range this 190 score will likely fall into for percentile and if you are required to be in the 98th percentile for both Math and Reading or just one to qualify for the program? I don't want to bother his teachers or administrators about this as they have said they won't know the percentiles until they come back from the state however I have found a lot of information online that looks like 190 is the break point (either equal to or greater than) for advanced placement (not necessarily gifted/high ability). I am hoping someone who is familiar with this process and the scoring/percentile rankings would let me know what they think the scores will mean with regard to qualification for high abilty placement and percentile ranking. Below is a pasted copy of or high ability qualifications criteria:

High Ability Overview
    The following procedures were established to guide decisions on how to best meet the instructional needs of students. Students who meet the placement criteria possess a skill level and knowledge that is significantly beyond that of their peer group and require a unique educational experience to develop their full potential. Since no assessment can perfectly pinpoint a student�s aptitude or achievement, all placement decisions take into account the �standard error of measurement,� which indicates the degree to which a student�s test score reflects his or her true ability.

KINDERGARTEN MATH EXPLORATIONS
    Selection Process:
     All kindergarten students will be considered for Math Explorations based on their performance on classroom assessments, including the NWEA MPG Math assessment.
    Placement Criteria:
     Kindergarten students who earn a score in the 90th percentile or higher on the fall NWEA MPG Math assessment are eligible for placement in Kindergarten Math Explorations. Students who participate in Kindergarten Math Explorations do not automatically proceed to Grade 1 Advanced Math. At the end of the school year, Kindergarten Math Explorations data will be reviewed to determine whether placement in 1st Grade Advanced Math is appropriate.
    ELEMENTARY CHALLENGE
    Selection Process:
     In February, parents/guardians of 1st-4th grade students who are eligible for the Challenge program as a result of the current year�s achievement data will be contacted regarding placement in the Challenge program.
     Students enrolled in the Challenge program will automatically continue in the program the following school year, pending adequate progress.
    Placement Criteria:
     Students who earn the following scores in either fall or winter are eligible for placement in the elementary Challenge program:
    o 1st grade students - 98th percentile or higher on the NWEA MPG Reading assessment
    o 2nd � 4th grade students - 98th percentile or higher on the NWEA MAP Reading assessment

Thanks!

I
    I
    Welcome!

Your school's criteria mentions "current year achievement data".
    - Do they look at where each child's achievement score falls within the national percentile, as provided by NWEA?
    - Or do they look at where each child's score falls within the percentile locally... by school district, State, region, etc?

For example: In some districts, if using the national percentile... all or nearly all children would be placed in the advanced class.

S
    S
    You can get some older NWEA national norming criteria online, but the most recent is not available to the public. The most recent nationa norming criteria "downshifted", apparently, with similar scores representing higher percentiles when normed nationally.

From 2011 norming criteria,

Winter Math 210 is equivalent to 97th percentile for SECOND grade
    Winter Reading 190 is 93rd percentile for FIRST grade, or 73rd percentile for SECOND grade.

In my experience, I would request the school for subject acceleration in math only by placing him in a 2nd grade classroom **immediately** for math, and next year, a 3rd grade classroom for math. Math is difficult for classroom teacher to differentiate, but reading is not so difficult and he'll get better instruction staying with age mates.

I chose subject acceleration for my son, who is now 9 - 4th grade by age. I used NWEA national norming to drive acceleration choices. When his NWEA test represented 90th percentile in a grade, I bumped him to the next. My son is now doing high school level work with college level reading.

My son's 1st grade scores were nearly identical to your son's. My son had 211 for winter math. 3 years later, he's doing Algebra 2. Excuse me while I go hyperventilate a little bit. LOL. My son's IQ is not particularly impressive - just above Mensa's cutoff, but he hated the social parts of school and loves learning material in depth. He hung out on community college campus and made friends there with students. He enjoys activities like swimming lessons with age mates, and he enjoys Minecraft and Star Wars, but he's mostly annoyed by agemates and consumerism. He's a much more relaxed, calm, and outgoing person since following his academic needs.

F
    F
    2015 RIT scale norms (most recent norms)
    http://www.sowashco.org/files/department/rea/2015NormsReport_Reading.pdf starting on page 67

NWEA uses the 95th percentile for gifted

1st grade
    winter math 210 99th percentile for 1st grade and 97th for 2nd grade
    winter reading 190 91st percentile for 1st grade

We have had to fight for everything we have received from our school. DS is in 5th grade and they FINALLY accelerated him into algebra I after the winter break. His first grade winter scores were math 219 and reading 197

S
    S
    Oh Thank You for posting the 2015 norming!! I was unable to find it when I searched last year. I'm glad it's public now!

C
    C
    Also note that page 55 has mean/standard deviation to be able to make some determination above the 99%-ile (assuming normal distribution, of course). 210 math is about 99.74 %-ile (http://measuringu.com/pcalcz/)

Do be prepared to fight/advocate for your child if required. My DD12 was 219/210 in 1st grade (99.8, 99.3) and they found one section of one other test she took to decline her - we had to pay for an IQ test. She's now in SET and met DYS criteria (hopefully accepted any day now), so I think they were in error.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM