Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #236058 01/24/17 06:56 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD11's psych.is not so sure DD should be diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type despite another psych's diagnosis and the fact that DD is in la la land at home. Psych feels that too many kids get diagnosed with ADHD when it might be giftedness, anxiety, etc.(which defines DD). DD has been doing pretty darn well at school with turning in papers and projects and is getting straight A's. Now, I was hassling her to fill out her agenda and leaning on her to have the backpack ready so I figured that was keeping her in line. It was sure not fun for me to keep on her(big understatement).

About 2 months ago we decided to do an experiment at the urging of the psych. We totally backed off. DD was allowed to be completely responsible for turning in her work. We do have a chore chart on the wall which she turns to for direction in what she needs to do to get ready for school. Results - she has brought home her lunchbox every day. She turned 1 project in a day late and was docked 10 points. She misplaced 2 pieces of paper and then found them that night. I believe she turned in another document one day late. This equals 3 items in 2 months. The psych says for an 11 year old in 7th grade that's just a typical kid.

Is she just growing up? Keeping it together at school and then relaxing at home into total inattention?

greenlotus #236061 01/24/17 08:19 AM
    I
    I
    Kudos to your DD11 for her newfound organizational skills! I'm so proud of her. smile She owns this! smile Internal locus of control.

Sometimes it's hard for parents to step back and just appreciate the child who doesn't need them so much anymore... and begin to develop a different kind of relationship with them.

Originally Posted by greenlotus
    Keeping it together at school and then relaxing at home into total inattention?
    Yes, it could be that, like many kids, she finds home to be her "soft place to land", unwind, de-stress, and process thoughts from her day.

On the other hand, your mention of la-la land and anxiety cause me to wonder: Is it possible that parenting style might be a contributing factor to any anxiety... and that DD11 copes by somewhat tuning out around you? Possibly it is time for the relationship to evolve a bit... each day, finding more things to compliment than to correct?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM