Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
    V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    I am with Richard Kahlenberg and other educators who have found, in the trenches, that schools need to have a critical mass of high and middle SES children to work
    Voucher Discussion Crucial, Richard D. Kahlenberg, January 2017, The Atlantic
    Most of the article is anecdotal. Here is one of the few refernces to research:
    Frederick Hess of the American Enterprise Institute told me that randomized controlled trial studies of private school vouchers are “more promising” than the research behind Duncan’s school turnaround strategies.
    The article mentioned the failure of over $7Billion of educational programs under Obama and Duncan. When schools of higher SES were mentioned, underlying behavioral factors were cited, such as academically engaged students, and involved parents.

Originally Posted by Tigerle
    But be honest about it, it does squat for public schools, squat for poor people. There's evidence.
    Tigerle, are you able to point us to the evidence which you allude to?

I mentioned a research study in this post upthread... which found the preponderance of evidence to be supportive of school choice.

The current US public education system was developed under prior administration. The impact of DeVos on the US Department of Education, and the influence of the US Department of Education on DeVos remain to be seen.
    Indigo, I have always appreciated your deep answers which reference a great variety of sources. Thank you.

Val #236238 01/31/17 11:19 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Val
    those asking for evidence ignore what's put in front of them and segue to another topic
    While some may ignore evidence, others may analyze and categorize (anecdotal evidence vs. empirical evidence from research or literature review) before determining how heavily to weigh it.

Originally Posted by Val
    There is no amount of evidence that will convince people...
    Different research may yield different results, and correlation does not mean causation. It is good, I think, on a forum like this one, to exchange experiences and sources of information which inform various views... in a manner which seeks to understand both common ground and differences.

Originally Posted by Val
    ...whose agenda isn't what they claim it to be. It's the whole point of their position.
    One worthy agenda may be to shed light that there is good and bad in everything. Tradeoffs. Opportunity costs.

Originally Posted by Val
    They present fake facts from biased sources and tell you, "See!?"
    We cannot presume to have a common knowledge base simply by virtue of being gifted individuals. This is why some people choose to share experiences and/or sources which inform their view, and to ask others to do the same. If one believes a fact or set of facts to be "fake", one might choose to discuss that... for example: budgeted/estimated/projected vs. actual; outdated data replaced by more recent data; more comprehensive study with more subjects and/or a longer time period, etc. This may facilitate conversation amongst gifted individuals in a way that simply claiming "fake" unfortunately cannot.

Originally Posted by Val
    When that point gets brought up, the response is to find a new segue or a way to attack.
    Seeking context, sources, or delving deeper with questions for clarification are not attack. However accusations and allegations, casting aspersions on individual's motivations is an attack. Ad Hominem.

Originally Posted by Val
    The best approach, I think, on a forum like this one, is not to engage them.
    This statement sounds like relational aggression, also known as girl-bullying. I know the considerable talents of members can be put to better use on the forum.

For example, discussing DeVos and the US Department of Education which she is inheriting... how much might she change its direction... how much might it change her?

VR00 #236239 01/31/17 11:21 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by VR00
    Indigo, I have always appreciated your deep answers which reference a great variety of sources. Thank you.
    LOL, thank you! blush I find I often have more questions than answers... and every answer (which others may hope would bring closure) leads to more questions...

VR00 #236311 02/03/17 08:26 AM
    U
    U
    I'm behind on this convo, but I'd like to add to this list:

Among the barriers that Reuters documented:

* Applications that are made available just a few hours a year.

* Lengthy application forms, often printed only in English, that require student and parent essays, report cards, test scores, disciplinary records, teacher recommendations and medical records.

* Demands that students present Social Security cards and birth certificates for their applications to be considered, even though such documents cannot be required under federal law.

* Mandatory family interviews.

* Assessment exams.

* Academic prerequisites.

* Requirements that applicants document any disabilities or special needs. The U.S. Department of Education considers this practice illegal on the college level but has not addressed the issue for K-12 schools.

At the charter my DD attended briefly:
    --Required tour of the school held only a few times, the JANUARY before your child enrolled, not announced anywhere so you had to be "in the know," with limited spots
    --Mandatory volunteer hours (I believe it was 40/year)
    --No afterschool care (selects for wealthy families with SAH parents)
    --"Art fee" of $100+/year
    --Hours not the same as other public schools--again, selects for families with a SAH parent because this is very hard to deal with if you have another child at a public school who is not on the same schedule and you work

VR00 #236436 02/07/17 04:41 PM
    I
    I
    A few interesting takes on this:

1.Betsy DeVos Confirmed as Education Secretary
    by Anya Kamenetz
    NPR
    February 7, 2017
    Originally Posted by NPR article
    Now, the question is: How much will actually change for the nation's 50 million public school students and 20 million college students?

Perhaps her opponents should take a deep breath. The federal role in education policy is limited. Less than 10 percent of funding for K-12 schools comes from the feds, for example.

That said, here's what we'll be watching in the coming weeks and months...
    Read the article for info on upcoming legislation.

2.The job of the Education Secretary...
    by Mark Bauerlein
    Vox
    February 7, 2017
    Originally Posted by Vox article
    ...the more politicians and commentators insist that the first responsibility of the secretary of education is to represent and support public schools, the more we have an example of “capture” in government.

Capture takes place when an agency charged with monitoring an industry or profession ends up in the service of it. The agency or official starts to regard the object of evaluation as a constituency that must be supported.
    Lots of facts, figures, and statistics in this article.

3.Betsy DeVos is qualified to be Education Secretary
    by Michael Petrilli
    Fordham Institute
    February 8, 2017
    Originally Posted by Fordham article
    During her confirmation process, DeVos promised time and again to shrink Uncle Sam’s impact on the nation’s schools—to devolve decisions back to states, communities, educators and parents. That’s in keeping with the mandate from Congress, which just over a year ago updated the major K–12 law to expressly limit the federal role in education.

The grassroots energy around the DeVos confirmation fight demonstrates that Americans care deeply about their schools. That’s good news. The even better news is that parents and teachers can now focus that energy on changing policies closer to home, where the action is, rather than in Washington, D.C.

VR00 #236488 02/10/17 06:00 PM
    E
    E
    Personally I think Davos is exposing the long standing dogma which has permeated public education in many regards. A perfect microcosm has presented itself if you will. From my view point the responses from the NEA say it all:

http://www.nea.org/home/69582.htm

http://www.nea.org/home/69641.htm

Vouchers create competition between schools and give children opportunities which they otherwise would not receive in a public setting. Yet people are unanimously disparaging Devos simply because she does not hold the same views as they do- saying the exact opposite of what would happen under a voucher program. What they really want is another education secretary who can peddle the same old failing views. Maybe I am biased; but in my state magnet, charter and the like schools seem to be doing well with students. Many parent actually prefer them for the better.

VR00 #236507 02/12/17 03:06 PM
    Sorry but from where I am standing, Americans by and large do not care about their schools one iota.

(Almost) Every H1(b) printed is a searing indictment of the American public schools.

Were American actually concerned with their schools they would be asking the most obvious question:

How is that American schools cannot produce adults with the skills needed to fill the spaces purportedly unfillable to such an extent that thousands of H1(b) visas need to be stamped every year?

Worse still, many of those H1(b) visa go to foreign born graduates of US tertiary education institutions. So the failure must rest with the US primary and secondary educational institutions.

While I can see that niche technologies will always need to freely hire from a global pool so there should always be H1(b) visas issued I cannot help thinking that the current system is way abused and that healthy public school systems around the country should be producing high school graduates of the right calibre to render them obsolete for the most part.

Given what we actually do have in our public schools - a system where the people with the most potential are the most underserved . It should not be too surprising that employment agencies and their Washington lobbyists can claim that often borderline competent people (there are, of course outliers who are fantastically competent and awesome to work with as I know from personal experience) from half way around the world speaking almost unintelligible English show more promise than American candidates.

I cannot help but conclude that Americans as a nation, irrespective of the Secretary of Education du jour, must not really care about their public schools.

Last edited by madeinuk; 02/12/17 05:00 PM. Reason: entered ipad before

Become what you are
    VR00 #236508 02/12/17 04:36 PM
    LAF Offline
    I agree with madeinuk that our education system is partially the problem. I also think that kids are not getting to do enough problem solving on their own and are not allowed to make mistakes.

Our educational system does not tolerate failure-there is not enough growth mindset. The schools are under pressure to teach to the test, so they do not have time to allow the kids to learn from failure. Parents are worried if their kid fails that they will fail at life- there are no second chances. Add in a nation dependent on media for entertainment and you have a lot of passivity and adversity to risk.

The problem with DeVos is not really about charter or public - it is that she has no background and no ideas on what our educational system needs. She is woefully ignorant, and if you don't even know what is broken you can't fix it. Plus her solution did not work in the area where she applied it. I have charters, magnets, privates, online school, etc. in my area and we do not feel like we don't have choice. Private schools in our area have financial aid and reduced tuition to help students with less funding to attend.

All just my opinion though- I am not qualified to lecture any time soon smile

VR00 #236634 02/18/17 09:19 AM
    E
    E
    @madinuk,

I regret to say you are spot on and I fully agree 100% having seen it first hand. Schools in this country paint high potential as those students which can fulfill the given standard curriculum with success (which is really based on average to slightly above average IQ). Yes there is advanced level and honors in some public schools, but it still does not challenge high, very high and profoundly high IQ. Anything outside of that narrow conformity is not taken into consideration, or cared for.

@LAF, Id say you are more qualified to lecture then I am smile However, IMHO, having an educational secretary with no experience can either be really bad, or really good. A person with an open mind, and with the right skills, is more likely to see the problem at hand then educators with set-in-stone, pre biased thinking. My point is- how many educators even grasp what gifted really is? How many educators recognize US schools do not teach enough STEM? I may be wrong, and my opinions are strictly limited to my own experience, but the well educated educators we have thus far have not produced results that rival schooling in other countries.

VR00 #236636 02/18/17 11:15 AM
    Since the subject of other countries' excellence came up--

https://www.theatlantic.com/nationa...ng-about-finlands-school-success/250564/

Maybe the secret sauce isn't what we Yankees keep thinking it is. Pretty sure that DeVos isn't all that interested in what Finland has discovered works, though.

Edward, you assume that American educators are well-educated. In my experience, a dreadful percentage of them are not-- and they may wind up in education majors in college because they aren't well-suited to other things, and not because they are impassioned, smart, and well-suited to education in particular. That's not to say that those educators don't exist-- they do, and they always have-- but that they are rare, always have been, and are in fact often driven out of the profession by the misguided pressures placed upon them in actual classrooms.

Privatization isn't going to fix this.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM