Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by sanne
    I'm not following the projections on how charter schools might supposedly impact the public schools... A charter school functions within a district.
    I agree with what you have said.

However I think some of the conversation and concern was about using vouchers for private/independent/parochial schools (thereby having dollars "follow the child" out of the public sector government school system and into the private sector.)

That said, I await news from DeVos and the Department of Education...

VR00 #236667 02/21/17 08:08 AM
    C
    C
    A properly designed voucher system may indeed result in less total money going to traditional public schools. In this case though the traditional public school will actually get more money per capita as the amount of the voucher is still typically less than the fully loaded average cost per child at the public school.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I agree with many of your thoughts, however I am personally a fan of summer break. smile I highly value having 2 months for child-driven learning, camps, veggie gardening, travel, family time, vacation...

Ach, I'm sure we'd most of us love 2 months off for child-driven learning, camps, veggie gardening, travel, family time, vacation... Trouble is, people who are dependent on public schools mostly can't afford it. It's not about you, or people like you.

The thread about the impact of a voucher system has go somewhat derailed by the financial aspect. However, read HKs superb essay on the Impact it may have on school composition and student demographics - in the communities in which it would actually mostly be implemented.

The areas in which the system were to have an impact are not areas where there are only 13% special needs students. The areas in which the system were to have an impact are areas in which there is a parallel system of private, parochial and charter schools in place and where new ones can easily be opened. It's not about Nebraska.

Last edited by Tigerle; 02/21/17 08:28 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I agree with many of your thoughts (notnafnaf), however I am personally a fan of summer break. smile I highly value having 2 months for child-driven learning, camps, veggie gardening, travel, family time, vacation...

Ach, I'm sure we'd most of us love 2 months off for child-driven learning, camps, veggie gardening, travel, family time, vacation... Trouble is, people who are dependent on public schools mostly can't afford it.
    According to wikipedia figures cited upthread, 87% of US school-age children attend public schools (are dependent on public schools); Are you suggesting that nearly 87% of US families cannot afford some type of out-of-school summer activities?

It's not about you, or people like you.
    This appears to make assumptions about me, personally... which may not be correct.

However, since you opened a conversation about who the system's impacts are "about"... Some may say that a US voucher system, a US school-year schedule, the US Education Secretary, and the role of the US Department of Education are "not about you, or people like you", as your profile states that your location is outside the US... in Europe.

impact of a voucher system... financial aspect... on school composition and student demographics - in the communities in which it would actually mostly be implemented.
    It is my understanding that the use of vouchers would most likely be utilized in the communities where parents want to exercise a choice of another school option or learning environment for their child(ren)... whom they believe would benefit by leaving their current school or learning environment.

The areas in which the system were to have an impact are not areas where there are only 13% special needs students.
    Do you have a source for this?

It remains to be seen what changes DeVos may make in the Department of Education, and how the Department of Education may change DeVos.

VR00 #236676 02/21/17 11:34 AM
    M
    M
    Hi everyone - it looks like this thread has run its course, so I'm going to lock it for now.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM