Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Lest you all think I'm hothousing here, dd three insists on having her own work. I would let her play all day if she wanted! She's definitely the one in the driver's seat. The science program is pricey, but I am very impressed with it. We'll spread it out, maybe doing one lesson each few weeks. I just reviewed it here:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26890.asp

We're very child led at my house, especially in the early years. My daughter LOVES mixing "potions" and playing with water, and this is just the perfect program for her.

I like SOTW, but it does have a few glaring errors. I seem to recall one biggie about Christopher Columbus, and there were a few others as well. Overall, it's a good start, and we always supplemented with lots of library requests, crafts, and games. I may take it back out for dd 8, as she really enjoys it and is crazy for history. My family started SOTW one in 2001, and we're still no through book 3! We move forward through history VERY sllooowllyyy.

Lori, you mentioned a couple books I haven't heard of previously. (If you're trying...) How do you like them?

M
    M
    Originally Posted by kimck
    mamaandmore - have you used story of the world before, or is this your first time using it? I was thinking of ordering this and the activity book and using at a base for history for a while.

We've been using it about 6 months, since we started homeschooling. I really like the activity book that goes with it, especially since DS6 is still kind of young he enjoys the arts & crafts activities. It's especially nice when I can involve my 2 younger kids, too. I also like that it begins with ancient history, since besides studying Egypt it's hard to find resources for younger kids. I don't know how it would do with older kids, I can easily see the story format becoming a bit juvenile.

I really only have 2 complaints about it-
    1. It has a bit of a religious overtone to some of the chapters. That's easy enough to avoid though by just skipping those sections (I think 3 chapters in all).

2. Some of the history facts seem to be a bit shaky with little acknowledgment of the disagreement between experts. We've discovered in reading other sources that some of the stuff isn't nearly as black and white as presented. I just use it as an opportunity to discuss with DS the importance of referencing a variety of sources so that you can be aware of the inherent bias in any single source. I can totally see where it's hard within the context of what the author is trying to accomplish (a story-based time line for all of ancient history), it would be difficult to include other view points. Still, a little blurb to parents might be nice.

I think it's really difficult to come up with a curriculum because things change so fast. Whatever I write today won't be true 2 or 3 months from now and if you have asked me the same question in June I would have given you a slightly different answer. Nevertheless here is where I am now

DS6

Math:
    - Singapore, gaps in 3B, 4A. Hopefully once we get to 4B or 5A it will be more about new material than filling up gaps.
    - Primary Grade Challenge Math by Zaccaro.
    - Pentrose book, you know the one about the cat. I am too lazy to go and look up the title.
    - Joy of Mathematics, Teaching Company

LA
    - a mixture of 2nd to 4th grade material of Harcourt Family Learning. Right now DS6 is writing a "book". We will cover any grammar or spelling which comes up during this project. After he gets tired of it we will try something else.
    - DS6 is interested in the word origin and we will use Cryptomania! for this. I need to write a post about this book.

History
    - Starting from Big Bang just like Kriston. Kriston, if you find any good books, please PM me and I will check if they are available in our library.
    We will use Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History and Usborne Internet-Linker Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, plus whatever we find in the library

Geography
    - Maps, Globes, Graphs Level C plus whatever comes up during history
    - Sheppard Software (in case there is something DS6 doesn't know yet smile

Science
    - CyberEd Earth and Space Science
    We have lots of books related to that
    - whatever else we may like to explore

Languages: his other language 2nd grade curriculum and hopefully French

2 weekend gt classes of his choice

Piano, gymnastics, skiing, ice skating, ...

He will also attend alternative school 2 afternoons/week to be with other kids and he and I will get a break from each other. It's only 10 minutes from us and I guess it's worth trying besides theirs "All our children are smart" Ouch. Fortunately DS6 shouldn't stand out when it comes to art/music/drama which is what they usually have on their afternoon schedule. We will see how that goes.

DS4 will be in play-based preschool and it's up to him what he wants to learn at home.

Last edited by LMom; 08/22/08 03:49 PM. Reason: Forgot DS4 :)

LMom
    Well this might look nuts (even here! LOL) but here goes:

Science:
    --Interactive 2 (Singapore)
    --Bite Size Physics (with a group)
    --Lego Mindstorms (group)
    --Science Fair Project

Math:
    --Statistics (AP-ish)... our first year not using Singapore!
    --Zome Geometry (with a group)

History/Geography:
    --Story of the World 4
    --Weekly mapwork & Sheppard Software
    --Projects (Elvis and conspiracy theories seems to be the current interest... and he's just finishing up a series of emails with his grandpa about the Civil War, invention under duress, navigation, and Nathaniel Bowditch...)

Literature/Comp:
    --Biweekly book group with 2 months on Shakespeare
    --Poetry and Music on our own
    --That grammar website that questions posted a couple days ago (woohoo!)

Languages:
    --Latin with Lingua Latina
    --Spanish with Pimsleur, Espanol Esencial, and a book called "Easy Spanish Reader"
    --Russian... just casually, with the New Penguin Russian Course

Other:
    --Flute lessons
    --Rock climbing
    --Swimming
    --Cooking club (monthly)
    --Dissection club (alternating months)
    --Church, probably including our church sex-ed class. I have to find out what grade(s) are covering that this year.

I think that's it.... He has two standing playdates with kids he doesn't manage to see in all that, and despite what it looks like we've managed to keep evenings and weekends almost entirely free.

Erica
    Yes, LMom, let's share resources on the Big Bang! I'd love to work together on that!

I have some things reserved at the library, but I'm waiting for the rest of my books to come in, so I haven't looked at anything yet. Our library system has quite a bit, happily, so it will be more a case of picking what looks best rather than taking what's available. Yay!

I'll let you know what I like.

Also, your great and interesting lists (!!!) reminded me of some things we do that I forgot to mention:

> DS7 writes at least 3 lines in his notebook every day, usually of his choosing, and we'll start on cursive sometime this year;
    > We'll do a few minutes of typing daily (I hope) with the "Dance Mat" online program;
    > We have the Rosetta Stone Spanish program I hope to try with him...if I can remember where I stashed it...blush ;
    and
    > DS7 wants to learn the state capitals and rivers of the world for geography this year. (He chose to memorize all 50 states by shape last year using state flash cards--VS, maybe? Whaddya think? LOL!)

That rounds out our plans.

Kriston
    Oh on the state capitals front there's a Sequence game with states and capitals! We only just bought it last week so I don't know how well it lasts, but so far so good!

Erica
    What is Sequence? I don't know it, but I'm interested, Erica. Thanks! smile

Kriston
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by mamaandmore
    I really only have 2 complaints about it-
    1. It has a bit of a religious overtone to some of the chapters. That's easy enough to avoid though by just skipping those sections (I think 3 chapters in all).

2. Some of the history facts seem to be a bit shaky with little acknowledgment of the disagreement between experts.

Interesting! I was actually drawn to it because some of the reviews I saw said it wasn't religious enough! But that sounds fine - as long as it's something you can work around. I just thought it might be a good base to start, and we can get additional book and resources at the library. That point about references is a good one! And if my DD4 is interested in the stories and/or projects, all the better.

DS7 is also doing jr. lego league and may spend 1/2 to 1 day a week at a co-op for HG+ kids (if we can get in, crossing my fingers!)

And Lorel - I totally get your DD3. My daughter would scream for her homework at 2 when my son would bring work home from kindergarten! I can only imagine if you were schooling all day. I really do think I'm going to need plenty of stuff on hand for DD4!

It's a board-and-card game that generally goes along the lines of trying to place five tokens in a row (while preventing opponents from doing the same), where you get to place a token on any square you have a matching card for.

The states and capitals version, instead of having a matching card you have a card with the capital and you place a token on the state square. They both have the shape of the state, so there's hope (I mean except like Wyoming... that's a singularly unhelpful shape! LOL), but basically you're matching the capitals and states to place your token. Not extremely challenging or exciting, but kind of our usual after-dinner-board-game kind of fare. smile

Erica
    Did you get Sequence at a store or online? It sounds good. I appreciate the tip!

Kriston
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM