Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 319 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
    L
    L
    DD3 likes taking photos on my iPhone, including zooming in and out and choosing filters. I started putting her pics on Instagram as a record for her, for later.

Last edited by LazyMum; 10/14/18 02:08 AM.
    C
    C
    She has an eye for it.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    She has an eye for it.

Thanks Cookie smile

K
    K
    DD is 3Y4M, and loves to play with words and very often leaves us tongue-tied.

When she was 2Y7M, she was sitting on her car seat playing with her Molecube, while I was driving. She suddenly threw it into the car floor. I said �Did you just throw the Molecube?�. DD replied, �No, I just helped the molecube to fly.�

When she was 2Y10M, on a particular instance, I said �Why do you keep shouting all the time?�. DD said (with every statement she turned her head into the general direction of what she was telling about) �I don�t shout all the time. I jump on the sofa, I ride my bike, I eat strawberries, I draw on the paper, I play with lego blocks, I watch TV, I play on iPad, I walk into the play room, I sleep on my bed, I color with crayons. See? I don�t shout all the time.�

Recently, when I told her "DD, Stop" while she was doing something. She said "I'm not Alexa. Say 'Can you please Stop'" If you own an Amazon Echo, you'd know what she meant.

And a few other of her statements,

�I want to climb on the slide and slide on the climb�

"If ring is rang, why is bring not brang".

"My nose is not small, my nose is bigger than a small nose"

�Can you give me something sweet, colorful and �M� on it?� (Apparently, asking for an M&M)

S
    S
    My 21 month old has a new sudden passion for violin. I'm familiar with Suzuki and we have a tiny violin from DS9's toddler attempt at violin (which lasted about 20 minutes and never again, LOL).

What's amazing to me is I put in an instructional DVD on how to play violin and DS1 mimics how to put the violin on his shoulder. (In Suzuki the teacher typically does it for a young child).

I'm happy because since finding violin he is much easier to deal with during the day. Much less tantrumming and mess-making. ❤

K
    K
    As I was saying, DD is 3Y5M, and loves to play with words and very often leaves us tongue-tied. She has been asking a lot of questions and becoming increasingly curious about everything.

I've created a twitter handle to tweet her questions and statements as she speaks them, to keep as a record for her. DW and I are managing it and we'll eventually pass it to her when she grows up.

Last edited by Kish; 02/10/17 10:50 AM.
    C
    C
    So, this is my first post. I feel like this is a fun thread to get my feet wet.

DS5: At 3 and 4, it was dinosaurs, dinosaurs and more dinosaurs. He discovered the pronunciations in the parenthesis of dino names and loved to decode them. He also enjoyed stories and make believe games that involved time travel, portals and black holes. He became very interested in the human body for a while. Now at 5, he has discovered kiddie anime and power rangers and still loves building "contraptions" and other structures with magnatiles(which he has loved since infancy). When he gets into something, he super focuses on it so it will be interesting to see what passions are unlocked once kindergarten begins next year. He also likes swimming, hiking, karate, museums and playgrounds.

DD18m: letters, letter sounds, counting everything, starfall.com, spinning things, farm animals, animal sounds,
    fingerplays/motion songs, drawing, books, shoes. I am super excited to see what else will grab her interest!

I
    I
    CuriousKids - Welcome! smile

Kish and LazyMum, not to be a Debbie Downer, but please exercise caution about identifying your child publicly. Unfortunately it may make your child a target or magnet for future unwanted attention.

Board rules include "Try not to post any information that will allow others to identify you, your children, or anyone else."

L
    L
    Thanks for your concern Indigo.

Maybe I shouldn't be so relaxed about it, but honestly, I feel like these days if someone wants to hack you, steal your identity, or find out all your family's info, there's not much I can do about it. It would be just as likely (more likely even, and certainly easier) that someone takes a shine to my daughter on the metro, follows us, and starts learning our routine/school run/home address.

It's a big scary world out there and I'm not sure that putting her pictures on IG truly adds that much risk. Having said that, the name I've put on her IG account is not the name that's on her birth certificate wink

Last edited by LazyMum; 02/09/17 02:29 PM.
    K
    K
    Thanks indigo. Makes sense. I've edited the post to remove the link.

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM