Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Greetings Davidson community!

We are starting a progressive micro school for 2017-18 in the city of San Francisco and we're looking for 3-4 Bay Area families to join us. The students should be working at a grade 3-5 level, any age.

We have a 6 y/o boy who is working at a 4th+ grade level. Unfortunately, none of the public or independent schools are willing to place him in a class which challenges him. This seems like the ideal solution!

We have a fantastic teacher lined up. She is California state certified, young, energetic, but has years of classroom experience. She's fluent in Spanish, and is currently pursuing her master's in education at USF. The curriculum will be challenging, project based, and involve lots of field trips. We will have a robust Spanish language component, but are not planning for immersion at this point.

School hours would be typical : 9-3. Tuition will be based on our teacher's salary + necessary supplies and expenses. Families will split this amount fairly, and could pay monthly or all at once. I foresee it being no more than the typical independent school tuition - lower based on fundraising and number of families. We would expect families to work closely together to create a school that works for all of us!

Where will this go ultimately? We don't know! But let's make it work together!

C
    C
    Sounds like a great plan, wish we lived closer. Good luck!

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Thanks! I'm feeling pretty hopeless at this point - I am terrible at homeschooling, we can't stay at our current school, and can't find another school to give our little guy a chance.

*sigh*

S
    S
    I may know someone (not on this board) who might be interested; what's the best way to connect you with them or them with you?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by SFParent2015
    I may know someone (not on this board) who might be interested; what's the best way to connect you with them or them with you?
    If you'd like to respect the privacy and anonymity of the families and children involved, you might e-mail this thread to the person you have in mind, suggesting that they join the forum and either respond to this thread, or PM the OP. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM