Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #235886 01/12/17 09:28 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Does anyone else have a 2E kiddo who "plays dumb"? If so how do you address it?

DD12 says "I don't remember", "I don't know", "I'm not sure", etc rather than answering direct questions she knows the answer to. Unfortunately she has had passive aggressive behavior modeled for her and I'm afraid she is developing it as a coping mechanism herself. This is a pet peeve of mine so I really want to nip it in the bud.

During her last psychoeducational eval the report indicated that DD would frequently say these things and then when encouraged to try would score above the 99th percentile. At school she is frequently encouraged to "self advocate" but prefers to have me raise the issues for her. Then when she insisted on attending a recent IEP meeting she was eloquent, poised and articulate. Clearly she CAN do it - she is choosing not to.

I used to think some of this might be a delaying tactic to let her processing catch up but now she is declining to answer even after time passes.

Sadly with all her issues - difficult to understand speech, fine motor issues, tortoise paced processing speed, every possible LD - is she "plays dumb" she tends to be taken as a cognitively disabled kid with people speaking slowly to her and using monosyllabic words. Then she complains she isn't taken seriously, can't use her vocabulary, her interactions are 'boring', etc.

Ideas?

P
    P
    Maybe she can only do it on days when everything else is great? Or it takes her so much energy it is not feasible to do it all the time. Being able to do something sometimes does not mean she is choosing not to do it the rest of the time.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM