Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #235809 01/05/17 08:23 PM
    P
    Portia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Can EMDR be used effectively with children? If so, at what age? DS experienced a traumatic event at a very young age (3). He does not remember what happened, but the intense anxiety (as in near unable to function anxiety, nightmares, etc) is associated with the particular source of the event 6 years later. As an adult, I have had good success with EMDR. Just curious about if this is a particular avenue worth pursuing with a child, then with a child within this particular population.

Thanks

Last edited by Portia; 01/05/17 09:31 PM. Reason: removed the TMI
    L
    L
    I am sorry to hear that your DS suffered a trauma at such a young age. My own DS had a traumatic experience at the age of 7 for which we pursued therapy right away. Part of that therapy included EMDR, though it took a slightly different form than the EMDR I received as an adult. I would say that there was some degree of success. I know others whose similar aged children have also used EMDR with success, although those children are not neccessarily in the same population you might find here.

P
    P
    We were advised to try EMDR the summer between K and 1st grade but were unable to find someone who did it with children so young. Instead we found an amazing psychotherapist (a 2E adult and parent of a 2E child) who was very successful addressing the PTS response through talk and play therapy. This psych used DD's high level comprehension - first developing an understanding of the physiological response, then addressing responses and triggers. All the while using the high level vocabulary and concepts DD needed to feel comfortable. IMO finding the right person to work with your child will be key no matter what approach they take.

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM