Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    We just submitted our son's DYS application on Dec 26th. My memory is blurry because of the Christmas activities, but now when I checked my mail box, I saw that I received request for parents approval form submission; and another email confirming that I had submitted it. My husband never received the email. I received email that the nominator form has been submitted also. I never received any confirmation that my application is complete, which I guess I should have received if it is? I tried to login to the application web form, and I was unable to check whether my husband's email was listed correctly, because the completed application form was no longer there. Could someone please advise whether the parental approval forms are shared, I.e. there's only one to fill out by both parents? Are there any email notification I should have received indicating that all forms are completed?

Thanks in advance and sorry for lack of good formatting, I am using my cellphone to type this.

Last edited by peanutsmom; 01/03/17 01:06 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by peanutsmom
    I received request for parents approval form submission; and another email confirming that I had submitted it. My husband never received the email. I received email that the nominator form has been submitted also. I never received any confirmation that my application is complete, which I guess I should have received if it is?
    Could someone please advise whether the parental approval forms are shared, I.e. there's only one to fill out by both parents? Are there any email notification I should have received indicating that all forms are completed?
    The DYS FAQs webpage describes when parents will be notified, including a notification that their completed application has been received. smile You may want to read that carefully. Here is one small excerpt:
    Originally Posted by DYS FAQs webpage
    Q. How will I know when the application I submitted is complete and will be sent to review?
    The parent selected as primary contact on the Parent/Guardian page of the application will receive automatic emails from the application system throughout the application process, including an email once the entire application and forms are confirmed to be complete. At this point, the application will go to review on the 1st of the following month. The primary contact will also receive emails at each of the following points:
    - After submitting the online application, to notify you it has been received. At this time, the primary contact and other custodial parent listed in the application will receive a link to the Parent Agreement Form.
    - Once the Nominator has submitted the Nomination Form.
    - If the application or forms are deemed incomplete, you will receive an email indicating next steps.
    As alluded to in the excerpt above,
    - Parents choose which parent will be the primary contact, and receive the automatic e-mails.
    - Parents provide the contact information for custodial parents in the application. Did you provide your husband's contact information as a custodial parent?

Because family structures differ, "custodial parents" sign the forms. For example, in families where the parents are divorced, one parent may have sole custody or both parents may share joint custody (even if one parent has placement).

If the application is not complete, the worst case scenario is that the review will be delayed to the next month; you would not need to re-apply.

C
    C
    We we submitted in late October, we each received a parental form and I received confirmation after each was submitted. Due to delays, I also received confirmation that the Nominator form was completed a few days ago.

I haven't received an "all forms completed" email - hoping it comes today or tomorrow at the end of the "application month", due to weekends/holidays. I did receive "out of office, back Jan. 3" from the contact I've been working with. If I don't get an email tomorrow, I'll contact by email.

EDIT: Looking again at the details, it doesn't say that the primary contract receives an email when the application is complete. So when both parent confirmations and the nominator confirmation is received, I guess it can be considered complete.

Last edited by Cranberry; 01/03/17 10:31 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Cranberry
    Looking again at the details, it doesn't say that the primary contract receives an email when the application is complete.
    Where are you looking? I find this information on the DYS FAQs webpage linked in this post upthread. The statement is included in the quoted excerpt in that post. I have now highlighted it with cordovan colored text. It says: "... including an email once the entire application and forms are confirmed to be complete."

There is a lot of information. A careful reading which helps one fully understand the process is the same skill which parents will need, in general, for understanding educational options, policies, how things work... and engaging in successful academic advocacy for their students. Although it may at first seem tedious, it is worth the time to read, take notes, jot timelines, make copies of forms and documents, etc.

I'll add that if/when one's experience of a process differs from the documentation of that process, either the documentation, the process, or both should be changed so that they match. Maintaining matching documentation and process manages expectations, creates transparency, ensures a common experience, and fosters trust in the system so that all may know they are being treated equally.

C
    C
    I was looking at the enumeration right after that, where it states I would "receive emails at each of the following points:" that didn't include an "application complete" email.

But I received confirmation that my application was complete and put into the review process, just this afternoon, so that is part of the process, for future reference.

Last edited by Cranberry; 01/03/17 01:29 PM.
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thank you! I did enter my husband's email in the next custodial parent info, but he never received the email. I thought I'd check the completed form to make sure I have the email address correct, but the completed form was not viewable anymore.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Cranberry
    I was looking at the enumeration right after that, where it states I would "receive emails at each of the following points:" that didn't include an "application complete" email.
    Yes, I agree that the documentation first mentioning the notification of the completed application, then stating "also receive emails at each of the following points" may cause some information to be easily overlooked, as all of the notifications are not listed in chronological order... and many people tend to think things through from start to finish, in chronological order. Maybe someday the DYS staff could update the wording on that part of the DYS FAQs webpage.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by peanutsmom
    I did enter my husband's email in the next custodial parent info, but he never received the email. I thought I'd check the completed form to make sure I have the email address correct, but the completed form was not viewable anymore.
    I would probably contact the DYS program with exactly that information, plus the correct e-mail address. For future, it may be helpful to make a copy, print-out, screen shot, or quick i-phone photo of any documentation, applications, forms, etc.

Before contacting the DYS program, I would follow the advice on the DYS FAQs webpage, for your husband to:
    1) check the spam or junk e-mail folder,
    2) setup the DYS program's youngscholarapps e-mail address as a contact on his e-mail.

BTW, it's also possible that a DYS staff member may have misread/mistyped an e-mail address. Don't feel bad or stress over it, many of us have made similar errors and have learned to make copies to check our work for errors and/or save the day when others we are interfacing with may make an error. We are only human after all... making mistakes and helping others, where we can, when they may be experiencing a similar conundrum. smile

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thank you so much! My husband searched his whole mail box, including spam folder, and found no email from DYS. I just emailed the DYS program and sent them my husband's email addresses. I think it might take a while for them to respond after the holiday season. Good suggestion to take a screenshot of applications, I will do so next time smile

A
    A
    I had to ask them a question after submitting on Jan 1 and they responded w/in a day or so. Yes both of us had our own parent approval form to fill out. I was the main person applying for our daughter and as such I had a receipt email for both parent approvals and the nominator.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM