Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Christi -
    Excellent news about the handwriting and the crative writing. You have hit the nail on the head as for as "the usual culprits." and you've solved them. Yippee!
    My DS10 also is tall with a giant head!
    Yes, Yes, do what works for now, don't worry about the future - UNLESS - you are going to be heavily dependent on College Scholarships or want your child to be dominant in sports or academic contests. Those are the only cautions - really!
    As for boys dating, there is no reason in the world for a child to lose touch socially with their age mates through afterschool activities.

Flexability for the new Principle is the main key to making school work for these kids! Ask away! Ask your principle to send a letter of introduction for you to the immersion Principle.

ACS -
    So glad you didn't take offense. I'm looking forward to hearing more about how you've made it work. Thumbs - up!

Yippee!
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    However, we recently started Handwriting Without Tears and !!!!!HIS HANDWRITING IS WONDERFUL!!!!!! So that's no longer a concern. And we also started the "Four Square Writing Method" at home and he is all of a sudden a great writer. Yay!! I recently looked at some of the work on display at his school, and his writing easily compares to work the 2nd graders had on display.

Ooh! Can someone point me to info regarding this handwriting miracle cure?! laugh

C
    Christi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Here is the HW Tears website.
    http://www.hwtears.com/

DS's favorite part is the "Wet Dry Try". You use a little slate chalkboard and tiny sponge pieces. You write the letter with chalk, then the child erases it with a wet sponge, then dries it with a cloth or tissue, then tries it himself with the chalk. This has made proper letter formation very fun. After the first session, his letter reversals were gone.

I ordered just about everything there was to order for DS at 1st & 2nd grade level, and it was only about $34 for a box full of stuff. Much cheaper than the $300+ handwriting workshop we were considering!

Christi

Originally Posted by Christi
    Here is the HW Tears website.
    http://www.hwtears.com/

DS's favorite part is the "Wet Dry Try". You use a little slate chalkboard and tiny sponge pieces. You write the letter with chalk, then the child erases it with a wet sponge, then dries it with a cloth or tissue, then tries it himself with the chalk. This has made proper letter formation very fun. After the first session, his letter reversals were gone.

I ordered just about everything there was to order for DS at 1st & 2nd grade level, and it was only about $34 for a box full of stuff. Much cheaper than the $300+ handwriting workshop we were considering!

Christi

Thank you so much Christi!

I feel really bad whenever my son gets notations from his teacher about his handwriting...she makes it sound like he's being careless all the time.

Thanks again for the tip!

Originally Posted by delbows
    Could someone please explain the difference between the bilingual and dual-immersion classes?

In general, a bilingual class is made up of children who speak a non-dominant language (usually Spanish). They are taught in their native language and transitioned to English. The objective is to get them into an English speaking class as soon as possible. A dual-immersion program values both languages and the objective is to develop bilingual and biliterate students. Generally, a dual-immersion program will have native speakers in both languages.

L
    L
    I am trying to convince my husband to put our son in a French immersion program out here in Washington. He's not interested in Spanish. He is gifted, but an under achiever and at the age of 7 is already bored with regular school. He's in 2nd grade and has been in series of private schools and those aren't perfect for him for they are not meeting his emotional needs. We are at our wits end.

What's is your husband's concerns or alternatives?
    What exactly do you mean by the private schools not meeting your son's needs? I suspect that you believe that the immersion program would do a better job, why?

sorry it's been going rough - check the old posts and have a look at what's been going on around here.

BTW - have you'll been through testing? do you have a professional to lean on and guide you?

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM