Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    FlyingMouse congrats on your D's acceptances as well.

aeh: Yes.. but it's worth it. Despite the kid being all "I'm going to do everything myself" and get out of my hair over the past few months. This fall he told me he didn't need his 504 for English this year, he was going to handle it himself. What he doesn't realize is that having the 504.. made that teacher a lot more accommodating. He basically got himself excused from having to journal write every day. smile

And the communication I had with the teacher who's writing him a letter of rec brought tears to my eye's. This teacher had him freshman year & junior year and really saw how much my son grew and matured over the past two years. Wonderful teacher who teachers very difficult classes whom it takes a lot to impress.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    I continue to learn from, be challenged and inspired by you two, and your sons' stories of successfully surviving high school are a huge help to mine. I'm just thrilled for both of you!

I second this. Hearing from parents who have been through all of this and to read that their kids will go to college - made it through high school!!! - is so inspiring and helpful to those of us coming along behind you.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    greenlotus, Playpus101

Thanks. It's not quite over yet. Still have to 1/2 the year to go even my son qualified his best acceptance with. 'Now I just have to finish H.S.' I do expect he will. I just did a little bit of a miscalculation and had him take AP Physics this year. The subject isn't difficult but it's a LOT of homework. And it's the type of homework that takes him twice the time as the other kids. At least it helped him focus that it's CS vs. Engineering he is interested in.

P
    P
    We will be sending you lots of happy thoughts and strength for the inevitable setbacks in the final stretch - but he knows he can do, and he wants to do, and he. will. do. it. Much joy to all of you this holiday season, who have worked so hard and helped your children grow so much.

ETA: And thank you, so much.

Last edited by Platypus101; 12/22/16 07:35 AM. Reason: Just one more thing
    N
    N
    Aaaaannnnnd...he's in! Interesting, though: admitted to the university and to the program, but not yet to the school the program is in. He has to audition, which he will do next month. Fine arts applicants' requirements and their timing vary by school, and it's yet one more thing to keep track of. But, he's in the school and will be quite happy to major in math or CompSci, besides music.

C
    C
    Hooray for you and DS! Way to go! And good luck to him with the audition(s)- hope that being admitted takes some of the pressure off and he can just do his thing.

Congratulations!!!

P
    P
    Oh Ben - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N
    N
    We visited and interviewed with the professor in one area of interest the day after submitting the application. They had a good talk, they seem to be two of a kind! I think that helped his admission. And after the visit, this school went to the top of DS' list. So nice to get that Yea in before the holidays!

F
    F
    That's great! I am glad that he will have a familiar face in his area of interest when he arrives on campus! I'm hoping for a smooth transition for him to college.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM