Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    KT1972 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hello-

We are in the middle of a long testing process and I am curious if anyone on this forum has a child diagnosed with dyslexia and also WISC scores for that child? Or if there is anyone who has a good idea what that profile would look like? We are undergoing further achievement testing but am curious...

Thanks in advance!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Generally speaking, it's better to wait for the data to come in before speculating, but with that caveat:

Some typical 2e profiles for GT/LD (aka, dyslexia, dyscalculia) might include large differences between cognitive indices (which your DC already displays), including personal weaknesses in areas such as working memory and/or processing speed (also your DC). On the achievement end, often the areas with the most abstract thinking will be highest, often commensurate or near-commensurate with the highest estimate of cognition: reading comprehension, math reasoning, oral expression are some of these areas. This may be paired with much lower basic skills: decoding (word reading), spelling, math calculations would be the prime ones. Not unusually, GT/LD learners can power through untimed basic skills in isolation, so don't test unduly low in those areas, but struggle with efficiency. In those cases, the academic weaknesses show up mainly in fluency: reading fluency/speed, math fluency, volume or speed of writing in extended writing tasks. I think you already have some anecdotal evidence in this area.

How one classifies the second e will depend on some other sources of information, such as measures of attention, auditory processing, phonological processing, fine motor coordination/visual motor integration, etc.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    K
    KT1972 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you for the input. I know I should wait but it is taking sooooooo long. ;0) My husband seems to be taking this all in stride and is patiently waiting for the report. So there's some balance I guess. LOL.

We just finished the achievement tests but of course it will take another month for scoring and the report so I'm trying to be patient. This just added a new wrinkle because I was not thinking dyslexia AT ALL because DS is 8 but reading several grade levels higher and recently completed report card testing with 99% accuracy and over 100 words a minute. But a couple of times now after his testing the neuropsychologist has casually mentioned dyslexia and when I mentioned how well he reads told me to look up stealth dyslexia. When I did it was remarkable how, with the exception of reading, the indicators align with the trouble he has been having with writing, spelling, timed math, etc. And then I went down the road of starting the read "The Gift of Dyslexia." Mind blown. Add dyslexia to his red/green color deficiency and I can't even fathom how, if he is dyslexic, he experiences the world.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    In compensated dyslexics (aka, stealth dyslexics), it is not unusual for reading to eventually reach a high level of proficiency, but for deficits in spelling to persist. Reading (decoding) and spelling (encoding) are two sides of the same coin, but there are more natural compensatory supports for reading than for spelling (e.g., the number of ways a grapheme can be pronounced is generally fewer than the number of ways a phoneme can be spelled; high-cognitive readers can use context to support decoding, etc.). Also, decoding real words is generally easier than phonetically-decoding non-real words.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I recommend reading the book by Brock and Fernette Eide, The Dyslexic Advantage

K
    KT1972 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you, KJP- Almost done with the first book so I'll read that one next.

S
    S
    I recommend the book The Mislabeled Child, also by Eides who wrote the book mentioned above. The book covers many LDs including CAPD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, WM issues, etc, and also giftedness. I found the book very helpful when trying to understand my son's multiple issues.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM