Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It is likely that some additional advocacy, and possibly scaffolding, would be needed to support some of the gap-year options.

One of my siblings did a paid summer internship (so about 2 months) in a research group at a major STEM company at about that age, possible mainly because a member of the extended family worked there and was willing to 1) vouch for suitability, 2) act as host family, and 3) facilitate appropriate professional interactions. So that wasn't a full year, but might serve as proof of concept. String a few of these experiences together, and one could easily fill a year.

For myself, grade skips allowed time for multiple rounds of graduate school (all in different fields), plus a partial gap year at a more typical age.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    My DS has skipped twice and will graduate in 4 years at age 15. He loves languages and foreign travel, so my hope is that he will do an exchange program during a gap year, but I am worried that his young age will complicate that as well. I know kids do exchange programs as high-school students, but he will no longer fit in that category. Does anyone here have experience navigating study abroad at 15?

I
    I
    This is old information, and therefore may no longer be current: Groups like AFS once had programs in which students who had just graduated high school in one country could enjoy a cultural exchange by attending senior year of high school in another country. I do not know whether they still offer this type of "foreign exchange" experience.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM