Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #235433 12/11/16 09:46 PM
    V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    My DD has major problems doing things which require repeated practice to get to the perfection expected, Piano, Speech etc. Does anyone have tips/resources on how to address?

E
    E
    I think that it is fair to ask her piano teacher or whoever (assuming it's not you) to explicitly talk to her about how to practice. Not just "you need to practice 15 minutes a day," but "When you practice, I want you to first spend a minute breathing and relaxing your neck and shoulders. Then you should play scales, trying to make them as even in timing as possible, for 5 repetitions. Then, choose a piece of music, and decide which part of it you are going to work on - the dynamics, or the notes, or the rhythm..." (I guess I would say the same thing to you if you are the one teaching her to practice, but you could do that during practice time instead of lesson time if it is. Just make it clear that you're teaching how to practice now, not teaching the music itself.)

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    ElizabethN thanks for the tips. No,I am not her teacher. The issue let me try to structure. We have not being doing much structuring on anything so it will be a challange, but it sounds like the right approach

P
    P
    I'll second ElizabethN's advice, and also suggest not focusing on perfection, just focusing on achieving achievable goals. My other tip - rather than overthink it when she's young, see what her passions develop into - with each of my children, finding their passion is also where they found the motivation that got them through repeat repeat repeat etc.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM