Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Egads I'm sweating bullets looking at this thing. Anyone have any input on how to answer these college essay questions? lol Feeling heavy pressure to say the "right" thing.

For reference - my daughter is 5.5. She is possibly 2E (ADHD, dad has a severe case) but holding off on that eval for a couple yrs per neuropsych recommendation b/c what we're seeing could also be b/c of giftedness. She had the WPPSI-IV done in October at recommendation of dev pedi we saw b/c we assumed ADHD. We were not at all prepared for her results:
    FSIQ 148
    GAI 147

I have no idea if the DYS program is run so that if you have that minimum eligible score then you're automatically in or you have to "wow" them w/ the questions and the nominator too but we are really freaking out b/c we have not a clue how to proceed from here w/ the new info. I was identified as gifted at 6 (not this high though) and was basically thrown to the sharks after grade acceleration followed by subject acceleration. It was not a good ending. We're also dealing w/ some of those OEs that Dabrowski discussed. Really really hoping to get into the DYS program b/c that individual consultant and online forum options sound like the holy grail to me to keep me from losing my mind w/ overanalysis and screwing our poor daughter up. I'm extremely nervous and hesitant b/c of what I experienced and desperately do not what her to go through that too if it can be helped.

Not sure if anyone here is able to answer these questions but any input at all is greatly appreciated. TIA!

A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    That was tongue-in-cheek - it feels like I'm filling out essay questions for a college application. More than I'd ever imagined I'd be doing for a 5 yr old but boy am I desperate for some guidance.

A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I think some of my questions are answered in another thread so apologies if this is an inconvenience here. Still figuring the forum out. It appears as though the questions aren't as scary as they appear if your child has the qualifying scores? Although they might still be denied even *with* the qualifying scores?

I have never heard of anyone with qualifying scores getting refused. The scores were dropped a few years ago even. If your child has the scores then I would not worry about not getting in provided that the application is complete.

Last edited by madeinuk; 12/09/16 06:14 AM.

Become what you are
    E
    E
    I have never heard of anyone with qualifying scores being refused, either. The only way I can imagine it happening is if your application suggested that you'd been having IQ tests administered over and over until you got the magic number you wanted. Don't sweat too much over the questions. Imagine that the psych in your intake interview for testing is asking the same questions - would they stress you out then?

C
    C
    I agree with the above. They are looking for gifted kids, not kids with parents who can wax poetic. I think I spent about 20 minutes coming up with a few anecdotes. At age 5, I don't think I would have had anything.

A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Yah, I don't seem to have anything. At least nothing that stands out as beyond typically gifted, I don't think. I mean she read fluently shortly before 5, but our friends' daughter who is in the same range and is also applying, she started reading at 1. That's what I think of when I see "prodigious ability". She was able to recite The Lorax when she was 3...but it seems others were doing so much more that would fit these questions better.

GAH. I guess the thing is she has all kinds of the overexcitabilities and other traits we'd assumed were ADHD instead and it's stressful and overwhelming. And my own experience as a gifted child was unpleasant. I'm really hopeful that DYS has some resources that will benefit us as some have suggested even gifted programs won't be the saving grace for her. I don't know if that's b/c of asynchrony or what.

G
    G
    Do they still ask you to give an example of your child working at least 2 grades above their age? I found that question to be difficult to answer, but it helped to just think of my kid's strengths and interests and pick something he was really into and describe how he was into it.

Keep in mind what seems typical to you likely isn't typical at all. After all, you see your kid frequently and she is probably primary person you go on when you think about ability by age. So that's inherently going to seem typical, at least to a certain extent.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by George C
    Do they still ask you to give an example of your child working at least 2 grades above their age? I found that question to be difficult to answer, but it helped to just think of my kid's strengths and interests and pick something he was really into and describe how he was into it.

Keep in mind what seems typical to you likely isn't typical at all. After all, you see your kid frequently and she is probably primary person you go on when you think about ability by age. So that's inherently going to seem typical, at least to a certain extent.

So just stating that your child is already one full grade skipped and currently enrolled in 7th grade but further subject accelerated to 9th grade English and easily getting 100s on assignments with additional differentiation from the teacher....would you include a report card or a letter from the teacher? A sample list of paperback books about landmark law cases he is reading for fun because he is into law at 11 years old?

A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi George,

No they didn't ask that. They want examples of prodigious ability, a need to explore things in depth, and an incident that shows she can learn and process complex info rapidly, something like that.

It's odd b/c I can think of all kinds of examples of things that are advanced compared to "neurotypical" kids, but when I think of DYS, I feel like it needs to be so much more substantial.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM