Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
    For my birthday we spent the weekend in some campground cabins with some cousins.  It's in the middle of a 7.5 mile trail.  We rode bikes to one end and back in the morning.  We rode to the other end and back in the afternoon.  That's 14 miles.  The  boy loved it.  Also, he has a new love.  I bought a little kite when I bought groceries.  I showed him how to run with it in a straight line so it flies high behind him.   He was running around with that kite non-stop for two days.  He seems to like it better than a helium balloon.  I didn't think that was possible.  :)

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    Is being contrary a passion? He's certainly passionately contrary! Actually, he seems to have less obsessions than his older brother. Must be time to try and hook in a few smile

Haha, my DS3 certainly is passionate about that!

It usually goes something like this:

Me: Clean up please
    DS: No
    Me: You won't get to go outside unless you clean up
    DS: I don't want to go outside
    Me: OK, don't go outside then
    DS: I want to go outside

Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Me: Clean up please
    DS: No
    Me: You won't get to go outside unless you clean up
    DS: I don't want to go outside
    Me: OK, don't go outside then
    DS: I want to go outside

I have this child!!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    J
    Jai Offline
    J
    My son has been obsessed with any and all things letters since about 15 months. We have magnetic letters, foam letters, LeapFrog letter toys, and all the WordWorld episodes recorded on the DVR. He also has a large library. He has loved puzzles since he could crawl. Now, at 3 yrs 2 months, he can do the 48 piece tray and 36 piece floor puzzles with no assistance.

His "stash" includes several rubber ducks, two Pez dispensers, foam letters, die-cast cars, flash cards (sight words and word family), finger lights, balls and toy animals.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I think we are entering a gross critter phase. We went on a hike today and he brought home a slug. It joins the worm from last week. These are the questions he NEEDS answered:
    How can you tell male from female in slugs and worms?
    Why are some slugs different sizes and colors? (theories include young and old or different species)
    What is the slugs favorite food?
    How long do they live?
    Where Is the mouth?
    Where does their poop come out?
    How do they breathe?
    Do they lay eggs?
    Where are they in the winter?
    Why do they have slime?
    Plus, a bunch of other questions I have forgotten.

As you can see, we have a lot to learn.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by annette
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    Is being contrary a passion? He's certainly passionately contrary! Actually, he seems to have less obsessions than his older brother. Must be time to try and hook in a few smile

My little lawyer *loves* to be contrary. lol.
    Those poor preschool teachers! They say "Good Morning." He says, "I'm a robot." They give butterfly finger puppet kisses, and he "doesn't like butterflies."

I am so glad I'm not the only one with a contrary child. DS2.5 has always been fairly noncompliant, but he's really been perfecting it lately. Good things he's still so cute.

He does have one new passion though which makes me feel like a negligent mother, but oh those rare moments of peace when he's watching a monster movie! Jurassic Park 3 is his recent favorite. It started off as an innocent dinosaur obsession, I promise. Sigh, I'm hanging my head in shame and nodding off to sleep at the same time.

DS3.5 wants to sword fight 24/7. He puts on his pirate hat, shoves a drumstick into his pants and runs around, whipping it out and pointing it at everyone and yelling, "En Garde!" He says that he is a musketeer and then follows it up by saying "We have ears, say Cheers!" All of my attempts to explain the difference between a musketeer and a mouseketeer are dismissed. I, obviously, do not no anything and he politely tells me to just stop talking.

At least it is a break from trains!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    A
    A
    Hi - new to the board! I have a DD4 years old that is passionate about anything to do with numbers, science, or ballet:)

Last night, she had an absolute tantrum because I said I would not get her a watch when she turns 5
    me: I will get you a watch when you can tell time
    DD: how can I learn to tell time without a watch...I will never learn to tell time until I am an adult...when my children are 5, I will get them a watch...I will not learn to tell time until I am 100 (and on an on)

She finally settled down and then asked me to teach her time (I had introduced the concept a few months back). I drew up a clock with some movable numbers and within 30 min she got the basic concepts down...she then smiled and said, can we go get a watch tomorrow? I think I am in trouble lol

OP Offline
    Just to "bump" this post for the new kids on the block. smile

E
    E
    Originally Posted by ellemenope
    DD's passions right now are playing with her blocks, riding her balance bike, learning how to swim underwater, and reading.

She goes from playing with her blocks for a couple of hours straight --(not exaggerating. She has been playing blocks this morning for over two hours now. I have to stop her for preschool.)-- to reading a second grade level reader --(we alternated pages on a level 2.9 last night.)-- The former makes me feel so much better about he latter. She plays more than most three-year-olds, if not better. I know it.

This is so wild to read. This was a little over a year ago, and DD(4)'s passions have not changed. She is still building elaborate scenes with her blocks, can now ride a two-wheeler without training wheels faster than we can keep up, and is swimming a wonderful breast stroke and freestyle 25 yards across the pool. She wants to join the swim team when she turns five.

It is funny because she has no real natural talent in swimming or bike riding. She has had to work really hard. What she does have natural talent for is poetry. She has a passion for that as well. She loves to read and write poems.

Her reading has also progressed. I would estimate her reading ability to be at the beginning of third grade. She can read those chapter books in about 30 minutes. She has started reading The Boxcar Children, but she has also read chapter books listed as 6.3 and 4.0 recently. (The 6.3 must be a little off.)

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM