Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Mana
    aquinas, I didn't see your last reply until now. Thank you for the recommendations. smile

I've looked into various desk top models but DD really wants something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomical-Ch...ndustrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1385253113&sr=1-33

She wants all the bones numbered and she wants there to be a corresponding chart. I haven't found anything like that thus far and I have a feeling that even if I could find one, it'd be way out of our price range. I think most models need to be assembled at major joins but they aren't fully disarticulated.

So, I talked her into asking Santa for an anatomy model rather than a skeleton model. It went on sale yesterday so this would have to do until we can upgrade:

http://www.amazon.com/SmartLab-Toys...85253717&sr=8-1&keywords=human+model+toy

A new obsession of DD is the DragonBox. She is freaking me out since she seems to know more algebra/math than the app is teaching her.

She might really like an anatomy coloring book if her fine motor can do it. They are meant for college students but are really just diagrams to color.

We are in a rescue, mazes, and cutting with scissors phase right now. ...And just phenomenal explosion of pretend play. The imagination really bloomed after he turned 3.

There's a cool anatomy app for the iPad that can be extended as interest develops and/or funds become available called Visible Body you could try too.

Last edited by madeinuk; 11/24/13 06:54 PM.

Become what you are
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    She might really like an anatomy coloring book if her fine motor can do it. They are meant for college students but are really just diagrams to color.

This is a great idea! Definitely getting her one. smile

The imagination really bloomed after he turned 3.

I'm getting a bit worried that DD is taking it to the extreme and developing multiple personalities.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    There's a cool anatomy app for the iPad that can be extended as interest develops and/or funds become available called Visible Body you could try too.

Thank you for the recommendation. I left the iPad within DD's reach after checking it out and of course, she wants the heart app and skeletal app ($19.99 each) and I told her that we couldn't afford to pay $20 an app. She said "But mommy, 19.99 isn't 20. I WAAAAAANT both." (She is 3 after all so her logic is often skewed when pleading her case.) Anyhow, yes, we'd have to see how her interest develops over the next year or two before we commit to expensive apps.

S
    S

The imagination really bloomed after he turned 3.

I'm getting a bit worried that DD is taking it to the extreme and developing multiple personalities. [/quote]

Ha! It does seem to take on a life of its own. If it makes you feel better, I hear many high IQ kids have imaginary friends. I think the rich fantasy life is just another facet of these fascinating kids.

On the bright side, getting ready in the morning is much much faster now that we play store and he enjoys picking out which clothes he will buy, try on and purchase. Also, upset we are out of bubble bath? Hooray! We have pretend bubbles now! :-)

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    My son has been into gauges since he was three. Oh, and clocks. (He's busted at least six of those.)

He loves compasses (could read them at 3.5)and any other gauge (like compression gauges, etc.) He has been into temperature gauges for at least a year and loves to compare Celsius and Fahrenheit.

I'm quoting my original post here to tell a funny story about my still gauge-loving little guy.

Recently DS, now almost 7, had the opportunity to sit in the pilot's seat of a commercial airliner. Of course, he was told not to touch anything. He was absolutely awed by the experience and surprisingly, uncomfortable. He realized the seriousness of that seat and after looking his fill asked to leave! I thought for sure he'd be stuck like glue in there, but no. laugh

My son has been into gauges since he was three. Oh, and clocks. (He's busted at least six of those.)

He loves compasses (could read them at 3.5)and any other gauge (like compression gauges, etc.) He has been into temperature gauges for at least a year and loves to compare Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Mind blown! This describes my DS3 perfectly. His security object is a tire pressure gauge. laugh

The other day, we were driving home and DS3 said to DS1.5: "We're slowing down in our neighborhood. The speedometer is at 20 miles per hour. Soon it will be at 0, when we get to our driveway."

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Space_Cadet

Mind blown! This describes my DS3 perfectly. His security object is a tire pressure gauge. laugh

The other day, we were driving home and DS3 said to DS1.5: "We're slowing down in our neighborhood. The speedometer is at 20 miles per hour. Soon it will be at 0, when we get to our driveway."

Too cute!
    Be sure to take your sons to electronics swap meets. Big-time fun there.

B
    B
    My daughter has loved the alphabet/words for a long time and she still does. She loves calling out letters and words. (She's 3, has known the alphabet well since 18mo). Her latest thing, however, is Magna Tiles. She builds HUGE, complicated structures with them. Even though I know she's incredibly bright, she is always coming up with a new way to wow me. They're easy to use and seem pretty durable so I highly suggest them smile Kind of pricey though - they were a gift.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    OP Offline
    I'm bumping this topic of mine only because I'm feeling nostalgic.

With Christmas on the horizon, and me sorting through photos, I've realized that time has flown.

I'm thankful that I kept our son's favorite toys. He remembers them and it's important that those toys be preserved for his children.

Keep The Memories

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM