Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    I was where you are last year with my DD. She is also 11, a DYS. I was very, very concerned about her, as she hated school and she has always been SUPER-intense. We feared we were going to have a 10-year-old drop out. It was BAD. I love her dearly, but she is fiercely independent and not easy to parent.

We were lucky - she had a natural change in schools and the switch has been amazing for her. She happens to be in more challenging classes (including some acceleration, adding increased EF challenges, but not overwhelming to her), but with an even bigger school, she has met even more kids like her - we are lucky to live in a community where she is able to find so many peers...she does not "click" with everyone. Her friends? Quirky. SMART, creative - and it seems like this year she is just so much happier. She kept her old friends and made some great new ones. Breathing a sigh of relief and hoping something like this can happen for your DD. It is hard. I understand your concern. (((Hugs))) and we are here for you.

@Loy58 - You have no idea of how happy reading the above post made me :-)

Last edited by madeinuk; 12/04/16 03:03 PM.

Become what you are
    P
    P
    greenlotus, I don't have much advice and also don't want to ask anything here that's private for you and your dd. Some of what you wrote echos things we've experienced with one of our children, who's been through some trauma when she was extremely young. The need for perfectionism, need for others to follow "rules", seeming lack of empathy etc. I don't have any idea if any of that might apply to your dd, but only mention it in light of - those are big things to deal with, and they are also things that are somewhat easy for a high-ability child to somewhat cope with without help from others, so they can build up a world that where they feel like they are coping, yet it relies on a lot of things going one way and doesn't allow for much to flex, and when the world naturally doesn't align perfectly with that structure that makes a child feel secure - I hope that makes sense!

The second reason I mention it is just that things got a lot more emotional and difficult to deal with going through early puberty.

Sorry I don't have any specific advice about how to deal with things, I think you're already doing a wonderful job of trying to help your dd and trying to understand her. Hang in there!

polarbear

N
    N
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    Could there be things going on in the school environment that is impacting her in ways that even she is not aware of?
    I played detective today while we were driving. I finally pulled out of her that she hates the classes where the kids don't behave. She gets very stressed by the kids who act out, talk back to the teacher, etc. Now I know why she always likes the stricter teachers - they keep a lid on the class.

I can totally understand this sentiment. At least for me, some of it is a sense of keen injustice - why do they get away with this and ruin it for rest of us? And for me, it made it harder for me to focus on what I considered important or collect my own thoughts on the subject.

If she is not allergic to animals, have you looked into things like horse back riding/stable work or working with dogs?

She works at the SPCA and does some dog training. She gets very upset when our dog doesn't behave in dog class. She wants the dog to be perfect! I watched her tonight during class - her body language indicated that the dog's mistakes just pained her (she was clenching her fists, twisting her body). Perfectionism at play via the dog!!!!
    is it possible that for her, she feels like that the dog's mistakes is a reflection of her failures, rather than the dog itself is not is not cooperating at that time?

Can it be that there are just too many people around her daily that she appears to lack empathy because it is too overwhelming with too many people pulling her (even if it is just internal struggles) or too many changes on social/physical levels? You can not help others if you are too overwhelmed yourself.
    I wonder about that. I will say that she has never shown sympathy towards anyone in the family, never mind empathy. I think I could break my leg, and DD would just worry if I would be able to drive her to school. My other DD is sweet about helping or concerned if I had a headache. This just bothers me. DH and I talked with one of the psychs. about spectrum possibilities, but that psych. didn't feel that was it.

Oddly, some of these things you say sort of reminds me of me - and I remember my mother used to lecture me that everything did not have to be so black and white or so absolute. I was extremely literal and extremely rigid (I still have some of that, but managed to learn to see more grey and gotten less rigid over time - or as a friend said a while ago, I have mellowed out some).

I would be curious as to how your DD would view things like "honor code" and stories such as the knights of King Arthur - and whether she would be sympathetic based for instance on grownups vs kids etc. Because I am pretty sure my mother would have said some similar things about me. I can remember having a protective streak towards younger kids and fighting back when some kids tried to bully me or my friend(s) on the middle school bus (which freaked the bullies out) and yet I definitely recall having a lack of concern over bigger/older kids or grownups - basically, I could not believe that they would actually feel pain or hurt like me because they were invincible in my mind and I attributed a level of stoicism to grownups that I know now is unrealistic. I am wondering if there is any similarity there... if she is more absolute than you, there could be some differences in your perspective vs hers.

(I remember my mother saying that she was so worried about how rigid and absolute I was as a child, and how hard it was for her to understand my way of thinking - due to the challenges I had, she was well aware that it has influences on me that she could not understand but she still had many frustrating moments because in some ways, our personalities were so different and our reactions to same things were basically opposite.)

puffin #235241 12/05/16 08:06 AM
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Just throwing it out there, as it's hard to know what would work for any given individual, but have you ever thought of getting her a life coach or behaviour coach? I've never had much use for therapists myself because I felt that talking about problems and feelings only puts more emphasis on those thoughts and feelings. But a life coach or behaviour coach is much more practical and focuses on the different aspects of life that need improving.

We realized early on (when he was about 3) that we would need help guiding DS6 through life, and getting a behaviour coach to help us help him has been the best thing we've done for him yet. By way of examples, she has helped him deal with impulse control, his perfectionistic tendencies, as well as his "big" feelings. He's still working on all of it, but at least he's (mostly) headed in the right direction. It was important to find him someone he could trust, as he sometimes tells her things he's not willing to share with us. We would've been willing to keep looking until we found the right person too, otherwise it wouldn't have worked.

For what it's worth, she's lucky to have you. Good luck!

That is exactly what ds7 needs. I doubt they exist here but how did you go about finding one.
    We went to see a psychiatrist to talk about his anxious personality. We didn't think he'd end up being diagnosed with anxiety, and he wasn't. But we really wanted to give him the necessary tools to manage his feelings, emotions and behaviour to avoid having it spin out of control. She proposed working with a child guidance consultant/therapist, and she recommended one. It's been incredibly helpful and I would highly recommend it.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks to all of you! Even if I didn't respond to each and every person, I carefully read all your posts. It's very scary to have one's child say they think the world would be better off without them. She had also checked on the assessment that she had thought about suicide. DH and I had a conversation with her about suicide (with notes from the psych). She said "of course" she had thought about it. And then she goes on to say she had read a couple of books in which a character kills themselves so "philosophically" she had thought about suicide. That's why she answered the assessment the way she did. She didn't plan to do it herself. She is so frustrating!!!!!

I really appreciate the support here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM