Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #23526 08/21/08 05:55 PM
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline

It's official. DS5.5 (wow that was a quick .5) got permission to enter first grade early. That's one less thing to worry about!

The school board meeting was pretty interesting. 45 minutes to administriva, 10 minutes voting, 15 minutes mad parents/residents. I might go to the next one wink

JB

LOL!

YAY, JBD's DS!!!

Boy, there's been a real rash of good news around here lately. It's just lovely! laugh

<pop>

Champagne, anyone? It's Thursday evening. In college, that was when the drinking began, so why not the virtual drinking! I'm buying the first round!

Kriston
    Congratulations, JBDad! Hopefully this will allow other GT kids early entry in your district. I have attended our school board meetings and they can be boring or very informative depending on what's going on in the district.

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Already uncorked some home made wine... yum.

And this Saturday the boy and I are going to a day trip to Baltimore to see Body World 2. This week... everything's coming up Milhouse!

JB

Oooh! The real stuff! It's a lot tastier than the virtual kind. grin

And don't call me Milhouse! <tee hee hee>

Kriston
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yeah. We're happy. It's not official until... we'll it's official. And now it is. Alright. Off to spent quality time with DW...

JB

CONGRATS!!!!

Congrats!

Crisc
    Great Job! So happy for DS!

That is wonderful news, JB!!!

I hope DS has a terrific year and really enjoys first grade. Keep us informed of all the new developments. Do you know who his teacher will be yet? Any feel for what he or she is like?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    E
    E
    Awsome News!

Yay JBDad and family! Way to go!

K
    K
    That's great! Congratulations!

Great news! You made getting grade skip look really easy smile Good job!

Originally Posted by Kriston
    Boy, there's been a real rash of good news around here lately. It's just lovely! laugh

It's great, isn't it? I am afraid that a month or two from now it will be the other way around frown You know when quite a few people find out that their child teacher is not what they hoped for, that differentiation meant more work, that "all kids are gt". etc.

LMom
    Q
    Q
    Here's hoping everyone has a great school year and a happy and healthy year in general! I, too, love reading all the good news. Yay, go team!

I'm going with unbridled optimism for now. We need it! There's always time for disappointment later.

You know what I always say: expect the worst and hope for the best. Keep a positive outlook, but be prepared to act if things don't go as you hope. I really think it's a sensible, Spock-like way to be! wink

Kriston
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The great thing about this group is that it allows us to be optimistic and at the same time know enough about the pitfalls to try to side step them when possible. For me, personally, it was a long journey from March until now and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I got a lot of help from the "regulars" here and others. So thanks guys!

JB

Great! And it's true JBDad, it's a journey for sure. DD6 got a really good teacher this year. I'm to the point that I don't even care if her learning environment is ideal! I just want her to have a happy day when she goes to school!

However, I've been told that she is very child centered teacher and flexible concerning my child's situation, so I'm looking forward to a great year.

DD8 will be pulled out for an hour and homeschooled for math. The principal has been great with working with us. The teacher seems a little skeptical smile but seems willing to give it a go.

I'm sure there will be things that come up that won't be ideal, but we'll take it as it comes.........as I'm sure you will. It does feel like progress though!

We'll take progress! laugh

Kriston
    But not at the sake of the child. First do no harm..........

Originally Posted by gratified3
    Love one new teacher, love one new school situation (9 HG kids with two teachers!), and believe all will be rosy smile. I spend most of my time thinking about how fortunate this situation is, but about 5% with the creeping doubt that it will turn to dust next month. I'm hoping the optimistic part wins and I'm thrilled for all the good news on the board lately.

Maybe it's all just progress, rather than false high hopes!! Do you think it's possible?? Tell me it is . . . .

Wow. 9 HG kids and 2 teachers. DOK. That sounds awesome! It will be great, really. It cannot get any better, can it?

Neato, that's great that they let you to hs your child for math. DD6 has a good teacher, it sounds like a very nice start.

LMom
    Neato, that's great that they let you to hs your child for math

Well, I don't want it to be too misleading. It's not so much that they "let" me, it's more like they can't stop me. smile

Legally, there is a certain amount of time I can take my child out of school and we do whatever I want. I could let her watch cartoons if that was my m.o.

However, the principal has been really good about all of it. He could make things very difficult for me, which would ultimately be bad for DD8, no one wants that. I think that he does get how far ahead she is and that she likes math and to be challenged.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM