Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    While this doesn't apply to my kids, I know testing accommodations are a big concern for many. There is some good news from the College Board regarding accommodations - it looks like for those who have accommodations at school (with IEPs or 504s), those same accommodations will be close to automatic for the SAT and AP.

https://www.collegeboard.org/releas...p_ch=PR&ep_mid=11326141&ep_rid=192842628

Don't remember if I posted this before, but I learned at a wrightslaw training session that certain DC should have both IEPs and a 504. Sometimes DCs need IDEA and ADA protection. IDEA protection expires with a regular high school diploma.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Strictly speaking, an IEP affords all of the protections and then some of a 504. The distinction at the end of high school is that the accommodations of the IEP should form the basis of the posr-secondary 504, but not all colleges will spontaneously or skillfully do so, if no one does it for them. So no, you don't need both during K-12 education, nor do you (or can you) after high school graduation. But for some students, it isn't a bad idea to transition from an IEP to a 504 near the end of high school, so that a college-forward-looking document exists prior to speaking with college disability services, and so that the document can be developed by educators who are familiar with the student's needs. It's. Also a good sheltered opportunity to practice self-advocacy and independence skills, before being let loose on the wide world.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    N
    Thank you for sharing, NotSoGifted. DS17 was just denied extra time on the APs, because he's gotten 5s on them in the past with no accommodation. I asked our SpEd chair whether applying again after January 1 would make a difference, and he said "it's worth a shot". DS could use the extra time on this year's APs, as there is More writing and subjective work, things that give him trouble due to his anxiety.

aeh- thank you for clarifying. I guess the question arose in the training session about private high schools and private colleges. Some private high schools (including my DSs private high school) think they can retain the right to decide which students can have an extended time and/or a foreign language exemption on a case by case basis. DS private high school also mandates NP and psychoeducational be no older than 4 years old. DS has practiced effective self-advocacy skills in gaining in-classroom tablet accommodations and extended time was recently approved, but the foreign language exemption still remains elusive for DS.

From what I understand there are still many colleges that "reserve the right on a case by case basis" to decide on accommodations and a 504 written before high school would help smooth that transition should some bumps arise.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM