Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 313 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #235088 11/23/16 06:45 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Any insight into how this appointment might impact gifted education?

V
    V
    I am hoping see will encourage more independence and accountability at a school level by creating pressure on school districts.

LAF Offline
    I have been reading trying to understand how privatizing schools will benefit the underprivileged but I don't see how it will. There are people who for better or worse cannot drive their child to another school in another town. We have magnets that are free and provide transportation. Private schools are not currently mandated to help special needs. If someone can explain to me how undermining the safety of teachers jobs and neighborhood public schools (who receive extra government funding if they are in a impoverished neighborhood) is a way to solve this I would like to hear it. Currently, I know of several private schools who offer reduced rates and financial aid to impoverished families who want to send their kids there. How will getting rid of public schools help anyone? I know there are teachers that should be fired but aren't or cannot be fired for contractual reasons - but that is true in any business, and I don't see how charter and privatized education will do anything to help the kids who really need help (impoverished, special needs). But my kids go to a fantastic public school, so I am not the demographic that want this. I do agree that we should be seeking high quality teachers but don't we already do that? With regard to VR00, with public schools there is a lot of accountability and transparency that will go the way of the dodo if privatized (charters for instance are not as transparent as non charter public, and private are not transparent at all.)

V
    V
    Originally Posted by LAF
    With regard to VR00, with public schools there is a lot of accountability and transparency that will go the way of the dodo if privatized (charters for instance are not as transparent as non charter public, and private are not transparent at all.)
    LAF I think the current system is way too centralized. I think my local school principal is excellent and wants to help his kids. But his hands are tied by central standards set by the state which have absolutely no bearing to our local student population.
    In general I think public schools teachers are no different than any other organization. They range from outstanding to terrible. It is just that the way the system is structured does not provide to meet local student needs.

Interesting read in NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/24/opinion/the-risk-with-betsy-devos.html

Last edited by VR00; 11/25/16 01:16 PM.
    LAF Offline
    I think maybe it has to do with state and district controls. I know that common core (which a lot of people hate) was adopted at state level (and some states do not have it).

M
    M
    If DeVos brings in an across the board voucher policy then all I see happening is that parents will get more choices about what schools to apply to but the schools will have all the choice about who to accept. Things like family connections and wealth of the parents and achievement and behavior of the child will become important factors in getting accepted into the best schools. An arms race for the best schools will start prior to kindergarten in order to get the kids into the best schools - like it is in some places now but on steroids. There will no longer be the option of buying a house in a good school district to guarantee getting into a good school.

High achieving gifted kids without behavioral problems will be fine - quirky gifted kids and 2E kids may find the schools they get accepted to not that great.

B
    B
    Personally I think if tax money is going to private schools or charter schools, they should not be allowed to discriminate. If a student needs an IEP or 504 plan, then extra funding should go with that student. If schools discriminate and pick and choose who they will take, then they shouldn't receive any students using vouchers.
    Personally I think this whole plan is just a nail in the coffin for public education. We live in a state where there is a lot of choice, but our district is spiraling downhill because they cannot "capture" the students who live here and enrollment keeps decreasing. Now they are closing school buildings and want to bus kids long distances to get to the half empty schools.

LAF Offline
    I agree with mpledger- I feel like the school voucher system will make it even harder to educate the children that do not fit the criteria of perfect student that would be easy to educate. That definitely does not include our kids, both profoundly/highly gifted and 2e. MG would likely do fine, but anyone above that would likely have problems getting accepted. And forget any support of neighborhood schools. Instead of destroying the system, I think there should be some remodeling, but if I were a teacher I would be worried about job safety, and as a parent with a quirky HG+ kid, I would be worried about asking for help with educating him- why should they do anything without a mandate?

blackcat - just because they say they have to take them doesn't mean they will. There is less transparency in charters and private schools. But I sympathize, I live in an area that doesn't have the problems yours does.

LAF Offline
    In my area, I have been told that if your child has an IEP that private schools will not accept them. Charters seem to work on lottery, and their rules are similar if not identical to public, so that doesn't bother me so much.

S
    S
    Private schools will most likely just up tuition requiring the same amount from parents and increasing revenue. Thus, school choice will not really be school choice at all! I send DD to a private school because it is the best fit for her. I have never expected anyone else (or the state) to pay her tuition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM