Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    It looks like there may be a few on the Hoagies math book list.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/mathematics.htm

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LMom
    I know nothing about the History of Math though. Any chance your library would carry it? Try asking on the Davidson list about math history books.

No, our library doesn't have it. I checked.

Thanks for the tips. I think the company is well liked and respected, but I just worry that they'll be over DS7's head, and I really want any videos we get to be something he can do without me so that I can get some writing done. We're going to try having no sitter this year! eek

Kriston
    I remember when I read this one to ds in 1st grade, the teacher reported having to ask him not to write his math work in mayan...again, I am the crazy mom who thinks we should be encouraging these sorts of explorations - LOL!

LOL? More like LMAO LOL!

I wanted to edit my original post, but it won't let me

Great, consider this your excercise of the day for eliminating the harmful effects of perfectionism on the psyche.

For tomorrow I would like you to write 100 times on the board:

Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person. Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person. Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person. Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person............................ grin

p.s. Kriston, I have nothing valuable to add here, sorry. Will love to check out the resources posted, thanks for asking the question.

I did some more poking around.

Sort of OT, but maybe not:

Here is an online archive of mathy stuff including history of math and online courses.

http://turnbull.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Indexes/HistoryTopics.html

I first read Connor's book on Real Analysis and now I found it online at the same location!!!

http://www-groups.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~john/analysis/index.html

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I bookmarked this site night, Austin. Great minds think alike! But that is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'd just like a book because it's more portable for school.

Thanks for all the help! smile I think I'm getting there...

Kriston
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    I wanted to edit my original post, but it won't let me

Great, consider this your excercise of the day for eliminating the harmful effects of perfectionism on the psyche.

For tomorrow I would like you to write 100 times on the board:

Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person. Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person. Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person. Mistakingly spelling a name does not take away from my credibility as an intelligent and capable person............................ grin

LOL You crack me up.

I would be happy to copy and paste your sentence 100 times, but I worry that my perfectionism would kick in while making sure that it was exactly 100 times grin BTW It must have been a while since I said on this board that I too was a perfectionist. Either you have a great memory or it's too obvious smile

Last edited by LMom; 08/21/08 10:38 AM. Reason: As you can see I even have to edit this post. Help!

LMom
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I edit practically every post. I just delete the "X" in the box so no one knows that I edit. blush

How is that for perfectionism? I'm such a perfectionist that I don't even want people to know that my posts aren't perfect the first time! Well, that and the fact that I think it would be boring to see "Edit Reason: typo" at the bottom of ALL of my posts!

LOL!

Last edited by Kriston; 08/21/08 10:52 AM. Reason: You're in good company, LMom!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I edit practically every post. I just delete the "X" in the box so no one knows that I edit. blush

I didn't know that you could do that! Thanks for the idea smile

No sitter this year? Any drop off activities when you are child free for at least a little bit? I am still trying to figure out our schedule for this coming school year. I thought hs would give me an unlimited amount of time. I somehow forgot that there are still only 24 hours in one day wink

LMom
    Originally Posted by LMom
    [I would be happy to copy and paste your sentence 100 times, but I worry that my perfectionism would kick in while making sure that it was exactly 100 times grin

Let's see... If you copy and paste one line, then two, then four, etc. you will get 128 lines after 7 repetitions. So just do that 7 times and then cut 28 of them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM