Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I know that you have to formally request retention of scores earned prior to 8th grade - we did that for DS' and DD's SAT I scores this past school year. I have not heard of colleges rejecting scores earned prior to 9th. Our state system accepts such scores but I have not checked with potential private schools so that is something to keep in mind.

C
    C
    My DS just completed his MIT application. When he checked to confirm that all of his documents were received, I noticed that his 8th grade SAT scores were listed. What the..!?! I never requested that they be retained or sent to MIT. I just checked my score request confirmation from the 8th grade registration and the only organization listed to send scores to was JHU CTY. How in the world did they get sent to MIT??? At least they were good scores!

Philip Stone
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    DS is currently taking Pre-Calculus so should be ready to take Math II in the spring. My question is whether he should wait until high school when he has had Calculus even though Math II only goes up through Pre-Calculus.

My kid just took the October SAT Math II subject test, two years after pre-calc. I was worried he'd be rusty on some of the material on the test, but he got an 800. He has taken Calculus courses continuously since precalc, so most likely the precalc material is reinforced/solidified over time.

Last edited by amylou; 11/02/16 09:14 AM.
    B
    B
    I was always told you take it after pre-calculus. My son took it at the end of sophomore year. There is no Calculus on the test & students usually find it easier to take right after they finish that class.

One thing to keep in mind the Subject tests are offered in the fall. Why not take it Sept/Oct of his 9th grade year. As for taking many at once. Why? That just makes them more exhausting and more to study for. I would think it would be to your son's advantage to just take the one. And then take other later when he is ready.

R
    R
    DS is also an 8th grader and taking AoPS precalc now. We have been planning on having him take the Math I and II SAT subject tests at the end of this school year. I just looked on the CollegeBoard website and it indicates that they are both offered in May and June.

I also understood that his scores would be accepted for college apps even though he is taking as an eighth grader - do others think this is not true?

B
    B
    Thinking about it I see no reason why colleges wouldn't accept SAT subject tests taken as an 8th grader.

C
    C
    One possible reason they may no accept SAT scores from 8th grade or below - no photo id is required to test.

Philip Stone
    P
    P
    If 20% of kids are getting the top score then the test is too easy or poorly designed.

N
    N
    There would be very few scores from before 9th grade out there, since you have to ask to keep those.

I have seen a few colleges say they like (but not a requirement) scores to be from 11th or 12th grade. I believe they want scores that reflect what a student currently knows/recalls. I have heard very advanced kids say they forget a few things on SAT Math II if they take it years after they are frequently performing such calculations. Of course, a quick review of pre-calc/trig facts would solve this. It may be more relevant to something like the World History test. If you took that in 7th grade and never touched that subject again, how much would you remember 5-6 years later?

I think it is okay if a bunch of kids are getting a "top score". The Subject Tests are meant to show a level of understanding/competency in a subject. Sometimes you can place out of courses with a certain Subject Test score (most common in foreign languages). Also, a high score in something like English Lit can indicate that an international applicant has a good command of the language.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That is really weird! Are those scores even visible in your DS' College Board account? DS only has 7th grade SAT I scores in his College Board account because I requested retention of them by the end of the school year. His 6th grade SAT scores (for SET qualification), which I did not retain the year prior, are not even visible in his College Board account.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM