Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi, I'm very new to all of this. My 6 year old daughter had the wisc iv and her FSIQ is 132. Specifically, the two standouts for her was normal processing and working memory which was 146. We have no intentions of wanting to change schools or do anything different!! Is that odd??

She is at a Christian private school and having that environment is very important to us, we will be using EPGY again this year, but should I feel guilty that I'm not meeting some needs of hers?

i realize her IQ isn't highly gifted so that's why I feel like it's okay, but are there some parents out there that upon this new knowledge about their child, just keep things the same? I'm glad I had it done because it explains a lot! But curious about this? Thank you!!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

I'm a little unclear on which index scores were what. It sounds like her WMI was very high, but her VCI, VSI, and FRI weren't quite as high. That does make a bit of a difference, as WMI is usually more of an indication of cognitive efficiency for rote and previously-learned tasks than of thinking and problem-solving for novel skills and concepts. (Though it's also associated with mathematical giftedness.)

On the more important question of her placement: if she is loved, happy, learning, and growing as a whole person, in all the ways that are important to her and to your family, then there is no need for you to feel guilty about your parenting decisions. No one else knows her or loves her like you do, nor do they have responsibility for her upbringing.

I think you'll find that schooling decisions are best made on a year-to-year basis, as children (and especially these children) and their needs change so quickly.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Many, many people don't change schools. A child with an IQ of 132 should do fine in any school that is caring, has good teachers and values academics.

B
    B
    I think it depends on the situation with each child and each school. My daughter had a FSIQ of I think 135 but her GAI was 150. When there are large gaps it helps to look at strengths and weaknesses and whether the learning environment supports those. In her case she needs higher level thinking skills and concepts, but not more work because she is slow in processing. My other child's FSIQ is probably 130 something as well but non-verbal reasoning was in the 140's. In his case, he moves very fast with math and is accelerated for math 3 grade levels. But again, slower processing so he's not big on actual work. He shows a lot more characteristics of what you typically see in a gifted child than my daughter, and therefore I'm more worried about getting the right environment for him. The neuropsych noted that when he was tested, he zoned out whenever the testing material was too easy and was a lot more engaged by the challenging tasks. So this probably translates to the classroom where he sometimes displays ADHD-like behaviors. With some kids, you would not necessarily see that trend.

If a child has a high working memory but lower on everything else, I'm not sure what that means in terms of what learning environment they should be in, but my guess is that most schools are probably fine. If the current situation is working, then I wouldn't mess with it.

R
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you, Here are her results;

Verbal Comprehension 128 97.0 Superior
    Perceptual Reasoning 119 90.0 High Average
    Working Memory 146 99.9 Very Superior
    Processing Speed 109 73.0 Average
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

∗ Verbal Comprehension Subtests Perceptual Reasoning Subtests
    Similarities 14 Block Design 11
    Vocabulary 14 Picture Concepts 15
    Information 13 Matrix Reasoning 13
    Word Reasoning 16
    Working Memory Processing Speed
    Digit Span 19 Coding 10
    Arithmetic 17 Symbol Search 13

So I think what you are saying which is what I am thinking too, is that because she isn't off the charts (like over 145) or twice exceptional, traditional school is okay. However, she is quite bored with current Math in her school. But her teacher is giving her more! Which many schools make the mistake of doing this. Her memory is off the charts, which explains why she memoraized entire books at age 3. But everything else is just showing a really bright kid.

I do have a teleconference followup with the psychologist to ask what specific could a traditional classroom do to enrich her studies. She is very curious and I see further along in her studies needing more as she gets older.

P
    P
    I think that when you read stories online you're reading a subset of experiences, and the parents most likely to be posting are the parents of kids who've struggled in some way - it's the only reason I've posted for sure - I came or originally looking for help, and I've stayed around to help others. I know quote a few families of high-intellectual-ability kids in my own area who are having great experiences with school and/or aren't hugely concerned about meeting gifted needs, and thru aren't the families you'll find posting - they're for the
    most part out enjoying life smile

I don't, however, necessarily agree that a student with a 132 FSIQ is going to necessarily easily find a school situation that works. The combination of motivation, personality, school resources, school mission, teachers personality, teaching and learning style - there are so any variables that go into any individual's education it's just impossible (jmo) to make blankets assumptions for what will or won't work for students of any ability.

Best wishes,

polarbear

R
    OP Offline
    R
    I think that response is beautiful!!! You are so right. And in our quest to "find out" the most meaningful thing for me as her mother was "now it all makes sense!" All the personality characteristics that I fought or drove me crazy, I now have so much more patience with. It all makes sense; the early waking, the intensity, the constant questions, the easily frustrated perfectionism, the need for justice and not just letting something go....I am so much more patient with her Bc it's how she's wired. She is happier, we are happier now Bc it makes sense and I have some answers as to why she is the way she is. I don't know why these answers helped me just be more patient but they did and I can tell she is so much happier!! Which is everything to me! Thank you

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes. Her language ability is strong, but not extreme. There are some hints that math-related ability might be higher than current testing suggests (we'd have better data on that if she'd been given the most recent version of the test, the WISC-V), though otherwise, spatial ability doesn't score as exceptional. But overall, I would agree with spaghetti's formulation. smile

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    ... aren't the families you'll find posting - they're for the most part out enjoying life smile
    Time for me to do more of that! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM