Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 117 of 131 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 130 131
    N
    N
    You know how we complain about teachers who differentiate by asking the gifted kids to tutor the struggling kids (regardless of whether the gifted kid likes to, wants to, or can effectively, do it)?

DS17 is in a supportive, SpEd study hall. His caseworker tells me that when he (the caseworker) was helping another student with math homework, DS started glancing over, leaning in, and would quietly get up, write the math on the board, and sit down.

I asked DS about this, and he said yeah, they have a new rule in the class that no one can ask DS for help anymore because he has his own work to do. I asked what he thinks about that. He says, it would actually be better to help them because he can't help listening and working on their math in his head anyway, and he just has to get up and write it on the board to help the caseworker.

H
    HJA Offline
    H

Last edited by Mark D.; 10/17/16 03:19 PM. Reason: politics
    C
    C
    At the risk of sounding humourless, I don't think using this board to gratuitously denigrate public figures is either appropriate or in keeping with the purpose of this forum. One of the great strengths of this board is the range of viewpoints represented. Preserving that range and all the benefits it brings requires respect and civility.

Originally Posted by Mana
    Given what's going around here lately, I think this thread needs to make a comeback.

I'll go first.

DD6: I have invented a new language.
    Me: Really? How does it go? Is it hard?
    DD6: Oh, no, it is really easy since it's totally random.
    Me: Then I can learn it too.
    DD6: No, it cannot be your randomness. It has to be mine.
    Me: What?
    DD6: You know, organized chaos and method to madness and all that.
    Me: What?
    DD6: Oh Mommy, you know I love you so very much.

this is funny, I do sometimes get a nice verbal "pat on the head" from my son, like I'm just a pet kitten or a 3 year old, my brain is so small. Sigh, I USED to be pretty smart!!! wink wink

F
    F
    DS10, who subscribes to many magazines, received a discount offer from "The Economist" in the mail. After looking over the offer carefully, he looked up and said with disgust, "What do they think I am--some sort of capitalist?"

S
    S
    It's so fun to read about all the ways these kids are constantly surprising us!

I've always been a talker, narrating my daily life, but now with DS2 around, this turns into amusing conversations. When we return to the house after being out, I often say "Hi House, we're home" and one day DS decided to personify the house. He lowered his voice to a deep grunt and said, "Hi, welcome home!"
    hahaha

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Flyingmouse
    DS10, who subscribes to many magazines, received a discount offer from "The Economist" in the mail. After looking over the offer carefully, he looked up and said with disgust, "What do they think I am--some sort of capitalist?"
    This may provide a great opportunity to enlighten him with the concept that one may first need to be a capitalist in order to later be a philanthropist. For example, the Davidsons created educational software, which enabled them to fund the Davidson Institute of Talent Development (DITD), including this Gifted Issues Discussion Forum. smile Benevolence, ethics, and social benefit are not mutually exclusive with capitalism.

F
    F
    Very true! We just thought that his immediate response to the offer was hilarious, especially because he had never shown any dislike of capitalism in the past.

M
    M
    DD6 whilst drying her hands: iPad, iPad, iPad.
    Me: You've had your 30 minutes already.
    DD6: I said, I pat, I pat. See, I am patting my hands on the towel. BTW, I knew you'd react that way. You are so predictable.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    DC#3, on a meal being announced: "Oh good. Now the digestive enzymes in my stomach will have something to digest."

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 117 of 131 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM