Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I also can't help but wonder if the need to skip ahead could be due more to slowing the pace and keeping content superficial...

I concur.
    Yes, lowering the bar... in the classroom and/or on standardized tests may be a contributing factor in the larger-than-may-be-expected number of children testing above grade level (15%-45%). Regardless the reason, there exist a number of kiddos for whom standard curriculum is a disservice. These are kids who need "more" in order to learn something new every day.

Originally Posted by madeinuk
    But on the other hand over half of NJ were below grade level:-

link here
    Ah, but the grade skipping article is focused on those students who are performing above grade level.

D
    D
    I do believe the cohorts would match better if schools were applying a consistent standard for acceleration, like the IAS. I think there are a lot of parents who would allow their child to be skipped if the school recommended it, but wouldn't go out of their way to advocate for it. This would allow more children of parents with a passive parenting style to make it into the grade-skipped group.

If the IAS assessments were also made available, then the cohorts could be further matched. However, attempting to do that might prove difficult if almost all the students with good evaluations are actually skipped. Perhaps a discontinuity analysis could be performed.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Yes, lowering the bar... in the classroom and/or on standardized tests may be a contributing factor in the larger-than-may-be-expected number of children testing above grade level (15%-45%). Regardless the reason, there exist a number of kiddos for whom standard curriculum is a disservice. These are kids who need "more" in order to learn something new every day.

Solution: ability grouping, with what would have been standard pacing 40 years ago for the middle group, slower pacing for the lower group, faster pacing with more depth for the bright kids, and special ed for the two tails, which may include magnet schools for gifted kids, which themselves would have ability grouping.

Originally Posted by indigo
    Ah, but the grade skipping article is focused on those students who are performing above grade level.

But remember, the bar may be set at an artificially low level.

A lot of problems contribute to poor scholastic outcomes in this country, and many can't be addressed by schools. But schools can control what they teach, how they teach it, and the pace they move at. Most schools seem to resist ability grouping these days. I figure that high stakes testing plays a role here. There are no bonus points for kids who can work past what the test requires, yet there are huge punishments for low scores. In terms of the system, schools are being completely rational when they ignore above-average and gifted kids.

We need a new (old?) way of looking at education. A simplistic fix would be to provide some kind of bonus for very high test scores. But of course, that would just be gamed, and it wouldn't fix the underlying problem. So we need a substantially different way of viewing education --- something that treats it as a way of developing the mind rather than as a process for generating test scores (guess I'm pretty cynical). This exists in isolated schools, but I doubt it's going to happen on a large scale anytime soon, barring a big scary threat like Sputnik.

In the meantime, very intelligent parents will continue to teach their kids at home and/or send them to private schools. What other choice is there? Nine months of bubble test preparation doesn't cut it.

Last edited by Val; 10/20/16 04:06 PM.
    I
    I
    Agreed, Val!
    Well said.
    smile

I
    I
    Agreed, DAD22!
    Well said.
    smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM