Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    DD14, HG with dyslexia and dysgraphia, is taking an AP class this year. We last had her professionally evaluated at age 7 so that eval is woefully out of date. Her counselor said that we will need to get her re-tested in order to qualify for extra time on her AP and other college board exams.

I'm trying to come up with questions to ask potential evaluators. Looking back at her original evaluation, I think that there are definitely somethings that the evaluator did not fully test or flesh out. I'm not sure that I want to use that same person so I am looking around. GDC is close by but super expensive and, quite frankly, I have some reservations about them. Any words of wisdom from someone who has gone through this process?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My only advice is to make sure that whatever evaluator you choose has lots of experience with getting 2E kids SAT/ACT accommodations.

P
    P
    You may not need to go through a full re-evaluation, especially if your dd has been using accommodations provided through a 504 or IEP plan through school. Our ds has accommodations through the CB and received them without a current neuropsych eval. If you want to know what we sent in, let me know and I'll pm you.

On the other hand, if there are things your original evaluator didn't fully flesh out, it might be worthwhile to pursue another full eval.

The one question I'd ask potential evaluators is easy "Have you tested other students for College Board accommodations, and how successful have they been in receiving them."

Best wishes,

polarbear

P
    P
    It wasn't until I read spaghetti's reply that I realized the OP's school might have already applied for accommodations and not been successful - which is based a bit on me reading through the filter of my own personal experience. I'm going to send you and spaghetti a pm, only because I'd rather not discuss this on a public board, just don't want to post anything that might possibly identify my ds. If anyone reading wants to know more about our ds' experience applying for CB accommodations feel free to pm me smile

polarbear

eta - I tried sending a pm, and it didn't work - argh!

Last edited by polarbear; 10/12/16 10:38 AM.
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    The school has not submitted anything. The counselor just said that based on prior experience the CB wants something more current than seven years ago. The school said that they won't do any testing but that they would submit outside testing on our behalf. DD got a 504 in second grade and has had extra time on standardized tests since she started doing them in third grade. She usually uses only a portion of the time on reading assessments but the full time that they allow her on writing - I think that it was a half hour extra(?).

Polarbear, if you could try again with the PM, I would appreciate it. I'm curious what you submitted that CB accepted.

Last edited by knute974; 10/12/16 11:44 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    If she still has a 504, you can request updated testing through the 504 reevaluation process at your school. The counselor may be unaware of that.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    knute, can you try sending me a pm? I still can't get a pm to go through to you, but I was able to reply to a pm that spaghetti sent me.

Thanks!

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM