Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    Howler - so sorry what happened.

I don't have any first hand knowledge and it would take more than a 5 minute google search... But in terms of finding academic resources to back up your daughters need for accommodations you may find it useful to research the work that has been done in Christchurch NZ over the last 6 years. We have had a large number of schools and a university participate in studies surrounding PTSD after the earthquakes and a lot of the research centres around support and accommodating young & vulnerable people in stressful situations.

I haven't had cause to read through it so it may or may not be relevant. Most of the work has been done by the University of Canterbury and the University of Otago.

M
    M
    A close friend of ours has had profound improvement from PTSD using EDMR, after being the victim of a violet crime in his own home. He often worked from home, was working at the time the incident occurred, so his sense of safety in every possible part of his life were shattered at once, home life, work life, he had become completely non functional before treatment and has been back to normal life for a decade now.

F
    F
    I'm a little late to this thread, but I wanted to say I'm so sorry about your daughter's situation, HK. That's tough, and it must be even more stressful with no clear steps to take.

I'm by no means qualified to answer, but do you think maybe she could split tests/exams up into smaller chunks? For example, if she can manage for, say, 30 minutes consistently or at least usually, perhaps she could just go 30 minutes at a time (or just stop whenever she has a problem and resume) until she reaches the time she'd normally have.
    Even if they were somehow worried about her having too much time to study or cheating or something (which seems absurd to me, but you never know), she could go part-by-part and do maybe 5 questions at a time.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by FruityDragons
    I'm by no means qualified to answer, but do you think maybe she could split tests/exams up into smaller chunks? For example, if she can manage for, say, 30 minutes consistently or at least usually, perhaps she could just go 30 minutes at a time (or just stop whenever she has a problem and resume) until she reaches the time she'd normally have.
    Even if they were somehow worried about her having too much time to study or cheating or something (which seems absurd to me, but you never know), she could go part-by-part and do maybe 5 questions at a time.

This also has the advantage that she might not go into fugue state you described on every piece of the test, so she might have a better shot at the overall grade.

B
    B
    Howler,
    I sent you a PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM