Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Wondering if anyone has suggestions to pass on to teachers on how to help support my DS8.5 (with DCD and probably ADHD) in visual arts.

Since the start of school in September, his home room teacher has sent home 2 pieces of work which DS didn't complete at school - both coloring-related. First was a 'mandala' in which he was supposed to draw things related to himself (favorite book, etc) and then present in French to the class. Except, he never got to do the presentation part (which I practiced with him at home) because he hadn't finished coloring everything in (grrrr!)

Second, this weekend his art teacher sent home his 'self-portrait', which was on a large 11x17" page. I think she helped him to draw the outline, but he hadn't colored it in, except for a bit of the hair and eyes. He had been away sick for 2 days, so got behind on it. Also, he didn't understand some of the directions about how to draw the mouth. Plus, he gets frustrated when his coloring doesn't stay inside the lines.

All the other kids had finished theirs and the teachers had posted them for the school open house last week. (The 'mandala' was also posted for the open house - except for DS's!)

I've emailed his teachers and asked them to call - hoping someone has dealt with something similar before and might have suggestions for art class? He does occasionally draw on his own, and it's not bad. But he's slow, perfectionistic, and therefore even slower...

I know he'll never get 'A's in art - I just don't want him feeling like a total failure in it!

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    My son has similar issues. His teachers have done a few things in these situations.

1. Give him more time in class for coloring
    2. Let a friend help with coloring
    3. Send coloring home (so we can help)
    4. Showing him how to put a crayon on its side to shade big areas at once. This is great for the oceans on maps.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM