Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #234086 09/30/16 05:05 PM
    O
    Ocelot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    I'm exhausted. I just had to say that to a group that gets it. Yes it is regular working mommy and sandwich generation stuff. But it is also parenting a kid that is so intense and asynchronous every single moment. DS5 is an amazing light in my life and I am so greatful he's mine, but wow it is draining.

I'm just deeply deeply tired. Who else is feeling this way today?

Ocelot #234103 10/01/16 05:55 PM
    I've been thinking about your post since yesterday. I just didn't want it to be hanging out there all on its lonesome, without assuring you that there are so many of us right there with you. I was so tired last night that I got in a preposterous, destructive, useless fight with DH over basically nothing. I was so exhausted that I could barely keep my composure in the meeting yesterday with the director of DS8's after care. ("Really? You've known him for 3 years. Fir 3 years, I've told you "what's going on with him." You may decide to ignore what I tell you about "what's going on with him." But could you please do me the courtesy to STOP asking me, if you're not going to listen to what I tell you?"). And so on.

Wish you could hear DS8 in the next room right now, belting out "Not throwing away my shot!" (In a way I don't think most kids would feel in their gut.) See Hamilton, the musical. It is all worth it.

Anyway, exhausted here, too. Still. Putting one foot in front of the other. Hang in there Mama.

Much love and admiration to you,
    Sue

Ocelot #234104 10/01/16 06:10 PM
    N
    N
    Sandwich generation wears one out to begin with. Add a gifted kiddo in the mix, and then college searches (delayed because as a junior he just couldn't cope with the thought). But now we have to do the Common App and essay. Yes, dear, I think I will have another glass of Chardonnay.

Ocelot #234106 10/01/16 06:48 PM
    M
    M
    We had a horrible night last night too.

DD6 is growing rapidly cognitively and while that's wonderful, it comes with a unique set of challenges. She is much better in many ways but for whatever reasons, she locks into a meltdown mode on Friday nights. It used to start around Friday afternoon so I suppose that's a progress.

I need a vacation by myself. Even a night away with an open mini-bar would do.

Ocelot #234107 10/01/16 06:52 PM
    P
    P
    Ocelot, you're not alone! I've got two gifties, one who is 2e and just started middle school in September. Lets just say its been a rocky transition. I think I've had 4 calls home in the last 2-3 weeks. Asynchrony, intensity, lack of social awareness...

Hope today was a better day for you Ocelot!

Ocelot #234126 10/03/16 06:08 AM
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Ocelot, I will join the chorus of voices telling you that you are not alone! Last week, I was seriously daydreaming about running away from home. DS6 takes us on a rollercoaster of emotions a few times weekly, and it can be absolutely draining. One day he tells me he loves me so much that he's willing to die for me. The next day, he acts like a little jerk. The next day, every little thing turns into a big drama. The next day, he is joyous and carefree. I often feel like I'm on wash, rinse, spin, repeat cycle. Thank goodness for wine.

Ocelot #234128 10/03/16 06:56 AM
    C
    C
    Oh I hear you on the exhaustion! I had such a tiring weekend I'm taking half a day off today - except it's not really going to be that restful, as I'll be meeting with a psychologist about DS, and still having chores, and driving DD to her activities.

Ocelot #234129 10/03/16 07:50 AM
    C
    C
    Friday night I had to actually tell DD6 I couldn't answer any more questions for the night. I felt bad about it but I just needed a break.

Ocelot #234158 10/04/16 07:37 AM
    P
    P
    ChasingTwo - we used to have question free dinners. I just couldn't take anymore!! ;-)

Ocelot #234169 10/04/16 06:01 PM
    O
    Ocelot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thanks for chiming in everyone! I unplugged for a few days, so sorry about the late responses. I was definitely reaching out at a low moment and now it is marginally better. School is causing a lot of stress for me and my DS. He is a kid that gets hyper and impulsive when he is anxious, and the fall out from that makes him more anxious. He did great last year but this year isn't off to a good start and I feel like I am holding my breath the whole time he is at school waiting for a teacher phone call. It's just another thing added on to the baseline intensity and family juggling.

Pinecroft are the question free dinners quiet, or is it replaced by a monologue?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM