Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    _
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Help me troubleshoot a problem?

DS is in 1st grade in Spanish Immersion. He reads many years ahead in English, and is a big reader, but this is about Spanish reading, which is what he's evaluated on in school.

K: (Dec) Spanish reading level = F (end of K)
    K: (May) Spanish reading level = I (end of 1st)
    1: (Sep) Spanish reading level = C (mid K)

He had a major regression over the summer, supposedly -- that's like a year and a half almost. He spent all summer in Spanish Immersion camp so I don't think it's a language regression.

I think the test went horribly wrong. The problem is now it's impacting his placement in class at school. My kid that's supposed to have an IEP for more challenging differentiation now isn't even in the high reading group, isn't getting the right level of reading books sent home.

I had him read an F level book and it was too easy for him, so I double checked the scores as best as I can. I know when you get into 1st grade assessments you have to have the "formula" they want for retelling the story, but that shouldn't happen until about an F level, so why did he test so poorly?

One thing he said to us in the first 2 weeks of school was that his teacher didn't seem to listen to him. Like she would ask him a question and then walk away as he answered it. Although he has 99% level scores, he has a low processing speed. I don't know if it's a real issue or not, because he's just a deliberate, intentional speaker. He will collect all of his thoughts and then speak.

Related to this the teacher said when she was testing him he didn't answer the questions, so she just assumed he didn't know the answer and move on.

I obviously need to push to have him retested but how do I avoid the same thing happening again if she's simply not giving him time to respond? Should I teach him to reply faster? I kind of see this as an okay part of who he is, not something that needs fixed, but am I being naive?

She also said he was having a hard time pronouncing 3 syllable words. He had no problem with me. It's almost like she tested a different kid, so strange.

Frustrating.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It may actually be that his test papers got mixed up with another student. If not, then the processing speed may be a factor. Is wait time also in his IEP, or is the IEP only for gifted? The teacher's account and your DC's account are consistent with each other in suggesting that she assumed that a correct response would necessarily occur within a certain time frame. Since she brought this up herself, perhaps that would be a good connection point to mention to her that he likes to take his time thinking carefully before he answers, so waiting an extra beat or two can be very worthwhile with him. On his part, eventually it will be valuable for him to learn to advocate for processing time for himself, both by explicitly asking for more time to think, and implicitly, by learning some cue words that signal thinking, instead of sitting in silence. (E.g., repeating/restating all or portions of the question, "hm," "let me think about that," "give me a moment," touching his temple or chin to signal thinking.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    _
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    I went back and looked -- his processing speed was 30th%ile, which is tagged as average. I guess that's in normal range under some definition of normal but when every other score is 95th%Ile+, it stands out.

His IEP is gifted only, not for anything else. I hate to point out the processing speed officially, what do you think?

I did work with him tonight on asserting himself when he needs more time. He was practicing some phrases. I'm afraid at 6 that may just slow him down even more trying to do both of those at once. He also gets slowed down thinking in noisy environments, so that's a factor too. He's sensitive to noise.

I think I will try to let the teacher know to keep it in mind next time she tests him. Thanks.

P
    P
    Can you just explain about him needing to think and just ask for a retest in a few weeks. The teacher will probably catch on soon.

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Yes, I'm hoping that will be enough.

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Quick update. The AIG teacher, after hearing about his struggles, thinks he needs an updated IEP to make sure he has extra time on tests.

He was tested at 5 years 1 month. His Proc Speed was 30ish%. Is this always correct?

I'm a little nervous to label a kid officially with scores our psychologist said were not very solid because he was so young.

Will I regret this later if I let them add this to his student file?

Another thought is that last year he did this test fine without accommodations, so I'm not ready to claim he has a serious problem that needs addressed. It seems likely this was one bad test.

Another update - meanwhile - the classroom teacher has moved him to the top reading group and started sending home appropriately leveled reading books. After we pointed out that his scores were way off from last year I think she must have pulled his info from last year because the new reading level he's getting is the same as last year's test result. The original problem has resolved itself (whew) but now I'm wondering about this IEP update.

Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences/thoughts.

A
    A
    It seems a bit much to rush into IEP accommodations based on what you describe. Maybe it would be taken more seriously if you keep an eye on the situation and ask the teacher to keep an eye out for more evidence? I think processing speed is difficult to measure in a 5 year old - you don't know if it is really a difference in motivation on that specific test, level of focus, etc.

Also, I sent you a pm 😀

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Originally Posted by aeh
    It may actually be that his test papers got mixed up with another student. If not, then the processing speed may be a factor. Is wait time also in his IEP, or is the IEP only for gifted? The teacher's account and your DC's account are consistent with each other in suggesting that she assumed that a correct response would necessarily occur within a certain time frame. Since she brought this up herself, perhaps that would be a good connection point to mention to her that he likes to take his time thinking carefully before he answers, so waiting an extra beat or two can be very worthwhile with him. On his part, eventually it will be valuable for him to learn to advocate for processing time for himself, both by explicitly asking for more time to think, and implicitly, by learning some cue words that signal thinking, instead of sitting in silence. (E.g., repeating/restating all or portions of the question, "hm," "let me think about that," "give me a moment," touching his temple or chin to signal thinking.)

aeh - it just occurred to me that DS may already be doing this and I have been discouraging it. Hmm. I do a lot of math work with him and over the past year or so he's developed a habit of asking me to repeat the question "Wait, what?" he will say, though I ask him not to do it because I have figured out he does know what I asked. I perceived this as slowing him down, but maybe it was his defense to feeling like he didn't have enough time?

I think something like restating the question would be more constructive though. "Wait, what?" was driving me crazy and I can't imagine his teachers would enjoy that either.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM