Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by kikib
    Aufilia-Did you find a local dr you would recommend? I'm in Edmonds and would love to find someone near by.

DD ended up seeing Dr Philip Dunbar-Mayer in Bellevue with my daughter last year (PG, ADHD, Asperger's). I think his dx was spot-on and has been very helpful. We did IQ and achivement testing with him prior to doing the full eval, and prior to confirmation of Asperger's and PG-ness, and that was also solid.

I just took my DS to see Dr. Lionel Enns in Bellevue (I'd've taken him back to Dr Dunbar-Mayer, but the wait list was too long for what we needed) and liked him quite a bit, but as with my DD when she was the same age, it seems DS will remain a puzzle to everyone, at least until he's over age 6 and/or decides to play along.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm reviving this thread because I am once again in the market for a good 2E evaluator. Last time we used the doctoral level school psychologist Brock Eide recommended when I contacted him to see if there was any chance of getting in to their now closed clinic. DD was tested for 14 hours over a 3 day period. Very expensive (paid for by my school district thankfully), very extensive and very detailed. Unfortunately there were a few significant problems with the report. That combined with the cost makes both me and the school district uncomfortable returning for a follow up.

My school district will once again pay but I probably am not in a position to travel anywhere as I was last time. (I likely need to stay within the NYC-Boston corridor.) She has 11 (yes eleven) current diagnoses. Every LD imaginable but not ADHD or on the spectrum. According to the last evaluator DD's numbers exist in 0.0% of the population. Very, very complex so we need someone who *really* gets 2E and the nuance of how these different issues interact.

If I can't find a better alternative I might have to go back to the first local neuropsych who labeled her "NLD-ish" and ADHD-Inattentive with attentional skills below the 1st percentile despite the fact that literally no one thought these were accurate. (Last evaluator dismissed both and said "in fact her attentional skills appear to be an area of *significant* strength".) I think he missed the mark on DD's real issues but was effective with the school district and helped pave the way for both enrichment and OOD placement. Not a bad guy but I would have to figure out what to ask him beforehand to be sure we didn't once again receive such off the mark diagnoses. Or decide if they in and of themselves take him out of the running...

TIA. Any and all input is welcome.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Deirdre Lovecky is in Providence, RI.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    LAF Offline
    If you don't mind I'm going to ride on your coattails P - if anyone knows a good 2e evaluator in Southern California (neuropsych preferred) I would appreciate hearing about them.

Or Tri-state area? Would consider Yale to Philly...

My large District immediately says no when asking for an independent external evaluation (IEE). The district usually provides a barebones psychoeducational that provides a full-scale IQ. DS15 had a 2012 neuropsychological evaluation showing IQ subtests that scatter between low average and high average. Verbal and Language-Mediated Tasks and Abilities that scattered between low average and very superior. The rest of the evaluation was consistently scattered.

I met with a well known school psychologist (Phd) in private practice and want to use her for an IEE at District expense. I am using the argument for a private evaluation, because DS15 needs a seasoned evaluator and more subtests in processing speed and other areas. I also sent the District a letter more than 30 days ago requesting an IEE, which was ignored. I have argued that the District "may not unreasonably delay" an IEE rule. Has anyone's DC been approved for a District payed IEE because of the "unreasonable delay" rule?

I could really use some help on how to articulate this argument. I filed a state complaint and the District is now listening, but is saying they need to check with their District attorneys for the "unreasonable delay". Any help, is so much appreciated!

I feel like I am almost there with at least one DS.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Bumping again. Meeting tomorrow and trying to round out my list of neuropsychs people have had successfully test their complex 2E kiddos. Ideally in the northeast (USA). I haven't had luck finding someone in state yet so I may get district to agree to out of state if I pay for transportation. If you have had a good experience please let me know regardless of location.

DD will be turning 12 this month and has 11 current diagnoses including just about every possible LD. Major processing issues but no ADD or spectrum issues. No behavior issues. Hardworking, focused, easy to test and eager to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM