Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    our h.s. has a painfully early start time; ds, sophomore, missed about 40 days last year, a lot of that early morning classes, due to illness and fatigue (chronic, related to one of his diagnoses).

He has already missed a large amount of class time this year also, esp. in the morning - school has suggested moving his first two periods to 'home bound' services.
    Sort of depressing sounding moniker "home bound"... but he can still take his most interesting and hardest classes at the school, and hopefully miss far fewer of the other classes. There will still be times he will just be sick, period, early or later in the day, but wondering if this could help.

I am getting the ball in motion with the doctor - -just wondering if anyone has used such a service and how it worked out..? pitfalls?
    also wondering whether to request this be for the full year, or something shorter. It is really up to the dr.

ds is not that interested, frankly, he thinks it would be just as good if not better to miss the classes if necessary, and make up the work on his own (he says he learns better on his own). He may be imagining a very slow movement through the material, which I suppose is a concern.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially if you've dealt with this for one of your children.
    thanks.

N
    N
    How many periods of a school day are taken up with academic classes? If he has a study hall, can that be 1st period? And PE, can that be 2nd period, with an option to do physical exercise at home that you sign off on? That way he's home for the first two periods of the day, but not really missing anything.

By home-bound services, do they mean he'd have internet access to the classes while they are going on, or a tutor, or what? There are many options.

I hear you on the start time. Our school pushed the start time from before 8:00 to after, and a couple days a week it's even later. So nice.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    When we put students on home teaching, they usually see a teacher for a couple of hours a week, with new work showing up when the old work is completed.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I know a kid who did that in NZ with an anxiety diagnosis. Often his health school tutor worked with him during free periods at school. He did anything with a practical component at school (metalwork, science, art) and English, maths and social studies at home. It worked well as he could do the health school stuff much quicker than in a class (he also has some auditory processing issues) and didn't get so overwhelmed. Here you wouldn't have the same classes at the same time every day which would make what you want to do tricky but if you do and your son does the work then it could be good.

I think it would be a good way for my kids to do high school especially if I could choose online providers for some subjects and have money (no chance).

OP Offline
    @NotherBen - no 'study hall' this year, though last year he had something that amounted to that in first period..so that helped a lot. not much to catch up on when he would return from a bought of exhaustion.
    PE is pretty strict about doing the work, and parental sign off is very limited, but maybe they will suggest an exception.

Sorry I did not say before, home bound would mean a teacher for min. 2 hrs per week per subject. that would be minimum 6 hrs, still a lot less than the 20 hours he'd have to be up and about and in classes if he stuck with regular class.

OP Offline
    yes, aeh, sounds similar.
    @puffin, this one is run and paid for by the county, entirely from the school. apparently he remains enrolled in the original classes, and just uses this for however long it is needed; it can even be periodic (like if a child is having chemo, god forbid) - and you know when they will be out, etc.

It may be our stress-saver this year, if not life-saver.

He is already wiped out this week, and slept badly to boot last night, so still in bed at this point. smirk

Last night when he came home exhausted and only got up to eat we chatted about it again; I think I have him convinced to try it, and if it doesn't work out, we can try something else.

wish us luck/good health
    thanks all --

P
    P
    We are a small country so health school is funded through the district health board and is for temporary medical conditions. We also have a nation wide correspondence school for kids who can't attend school for other reasons. The kid stays enrolled in their original school for health school.

OP Offline
    Well, update, we are going to hold off on the home bound courses, but he will be taking 3 classes (the earliest ones, and p.e.) online, so that he now will have about a 1/2 day at school, and about an extra 4 hrs in the morning, if all gets set up as expected. Hoping to get caught back up and stay caught up by the end of another week or so. Fall back to home bound if he can't keep up with getting to these classes consistently.
    (I mention these things in case anyone else is wondering what options might be available for a student with similar issues. I really had no idea, myself!)

Out of the blue, it turns out he has a friend he enjoys seeing in one of his classes shocked so he wants to be in that class at the school, at least. A female friend, and he actually knows this person's name (first name, anyway).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM