Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Well... Given what I've read on here before, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We went to a "meet the teacher" at the school recently, and we were very disappointed to find out that DS5's kindergarten teacher still had NO CLUE that DS is getting to be quite a proficient little reader. And her first reaction when she witnessed him reading for all of us? She suggested he could be a helper.

I understand that it's challenging for teachers to meet all of their students' needs. And I understand that he'll be ready for grade 1 no problem. And luckily for DS5, he's not a kid who will be bothered by any of this - the play-based learning will just be play to him and he'll merrily go on with his day. And I guess, it's just fine that he won't be accelerated because he won't be bored (at least not yet).

So why can't I help but want a bit more for him? Thing is, we haven't had him tested yet, and he may not be gifted. But even if he isn't gifted, he is still definitely not going to learn much in kindergarten (he's got the math thing down as well, his social skills are great, etc.). Should that be ok? I really don't know.

H
    HJA Offline
    H
    Hi RRD -- I am assuming your son is in SK? Does he have the same teachers this year that he had last year in JK? Also, what size class does he have?

In my experience, this is still pretty early in the lifetime of a Kindergarten class. I am willing to bet that the teachers are really just trying make sure students know routines and rules more than anything else at this point. They probably don't know your son can read because it really isn't part of the curriculum, particularly so early in the school year.

Our son's Kindergarten teachers started a reading program for SKs (and some advanced JKs) around December last year and it was an effective way for them to keep tabs on how the class was doing. Maybe you could ask your son's teachers if they have anything like that planned for later on in the school year?

One morning on the way to school last year my DS and I were discussing ancient Rome and, in particular, we were discussing the fact that some children were not given an education. I told him he should feel lucky that he can go to school and learn something new every day. Without missing a beat, he responded that he did feel so lucky and explained that he "learns something new every day and then goes and tells [his] teachers about it". He has so many interests outside of school that we try to foster (like Ancient Rome...). But I feel that he learned a lot at school as well -- like how to get along with others and how to look after his belongings at lunch time etc. He was also very lucky that his teachers did, in fact, give him an opportunity to speak to them about his outside interests.

I hope your son's teachers will become equally interested in listening to his stories and encouraging him to read at whatever level he wants, as the year progresses.

B
    B
    Been there... For my son K was only half day. What I did in this situation was decided not to sweat it since DS was learning other softer skills such as social skills & EF skills. As long as the class is play based and he doesn't seem bored I wouldn't worry too much this year & just after school him more challenging material if you can.

For my son 2nd grade is where the boredom really set in and became a problem.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Been there... For my son K was only half day. What I did in this situation was decided not to sweat it since DS was learning other softer skills such as social skills & EF skills. As long as the class is play based and he doesn't seem bored I wouldn't worry too much this year & just after school him more challenging material if you can.
    DS (kid who has tested HG+) had a lovely time in half-day K, even though he was on the older side...but I think it was mostly because he loved the new routine and being in class with kids his age. Even though it was apparent to him that he had already learned most everything academic they were teaching him by the first month, he enjoyed himself. Though there seemed to be near-universal agreement that the novelty would have worn off if we didn't make some pretty major changes for the following year.

Last edited by George C; 09/26/16 10:34 AM.
    R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    HJA: Yes, he does happen to have the same teachers as last year. Actually come to think of it, that makes it even more frustrating to me that they still haven't noticed that he's reading. He was starting to read quite well already toward the end of JK, and they still haven't noticed.

bluemagic and George C: I think he'll eventually be in the same boat as your DC (and many more like them). Ultimately, even if he doesn't get bored this year, he'll get bored at some point. And that's when the real problems could begin.

But even more than that, it seems unfair to a child to have them sitting on the sidelines until they finally get to learn something in the classroom. And at the rate this kid seeks out enrichment at home, that could be a while. I guess there are many parents out there who would say that's a nice problem to have.

J
    JBD Offline
    J
    I'm in a similar situation. DD5 is in K and hasn't yet been tested; even if she doesn't test gifted, she's ahead and she also learns quickly.

We're also in a play-based classroom. The big difference I see is that the teachers *seem* to be willing to listen to me on differentiation; time will tell, though, because we're waiting until parent-teacher conferences in October to discuss. My plan is to go ahead and establish early on that she needs differentiation, even though I don't anticipate an issue in K (similar thing - it's play-based and DD just enjoys being with friends -- also, she's not zooming ahead in learning that much these days, compared to her rate of development when she was a baby/toddler). That way, the discussion has started for whenever it does become an issue, whether that's 1st or 2nd grade.

My main worry is that DD is only about 1.5 grades ahead right now in reading/math, so that might not seem like an urgent issue to the school. But she learns fast, so once school becomes more traditional, she's going to get very annoyed with all the repetition.

Our school seems to have some experience with G/MG kids, and I don't think she's going to test higher than that. So I think we'll be okay as long as we're armed with MAP scores (they just finished testing last week) as well as when she tests on the WPPSI, which will be within the month. Their gifted program is only a 30 min/week pullout for K, but at least they do identify that early and I can have the G&T teacher as a resource. I plan to ask if she can do a Singapore math workbook while the kids are on their 'math stations'. Where she is in the workbook is behind what she actually knows (it's like basic subtraction; at home she's doing two and three digit addition as well as basic multiplication) so she can work independently without needing too much help. Luckily, she *likes* workbooks -- she just has stopped wanting to do it at home and has asked to do it at school.

As for reading, she reads in a "bull in china shop" style -- that is, more whole language/sight words than an understanding of how to 'sound it out.' I've noticed the teacher is asking her to write a few sentences during "journal time" about what she's drawn that day (most kids, including her, draw, not write), and that's really what she needs. She doesn't have much practice writing/spelling, and I also think during reading the teacher is giving her harder words and having her sound it out more.

So, your mileage may vary; if your DS is more advanced than my DD, you might have bigger issues later on. I'm hopeful in our case. As many have noted on the board, schools generally can deal with G/MG kids okay; it's the HG+ kids that throw them for a loop. Even if pigs fly and she actually tests HG+, my experience with her seems to suggest she'll be fine in a regular classroom as long I establish that differentiation is absolutely necessary. I do think it'll be more and more necessary as the curriculum gets traditional, because knowing her, she'll start picking things up much faster than she is now.

H
    HJA Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by RRD
    HJA: Yes, he does happen to have the same teachers as last year. Actually come to think of it, that makes it even more frustrating to me that they still haven't noticed that he's reading. He was starting to read quite well already toward the end of JK, and they still haven't noticed.

Yes, that would be frustrating. I was thinking maybe they were just getting to know him, but if they have already had a year then you'd think they would have picked up on the fact that he can read. Hmmmm... Perhaps this will require a follow-up meeting with them in which you can politely ask them what they plan to do to help him advance his skills. As much as I think the play-based curriculum is a decent introduction to school, I also think children should be encouraged to actually learn something while they are at school. Maybe you can ask the teachers if you can send in a book bin of interesting materials that you son can use throughout the school day (and that would be available to others as well)?

Good luck!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by JBD
    ... as long I establish that differentiation is absolutely necessary.
    You may have read this elsewhere on the forums, and it's important to know that differentiation is a buzzword which only means something is different: the advanced students may be required to twiddle their thumbs, mark time, march in place, tread water, or other catch phrases which indicate busy work with no real intellectual challenge or moving forward with measurable academic learning gains.

With "differentiation" the pupil's school experience is somehow different, but this term is sufficiently nebulous as to what is "different" for the student's educational experience. Too often the difference may be in work-products expected (differentiated task demands), possibly including more stringent grading criteria, rather than a qualitatively different instructional level and pacing.

In general, gifted kids and advanced learners need and may benefit from "differentiated instruction", not "differentiated task demands".

As tedious as it may be, I encourage parents to look beyond buzzwords and learn the 5Ws of any gifted program or offering, in order to understand what their child will experience (and proactively assess it's potential positive or detrimental effects). smile

G
    G
    I'm comforted by this Hoagies page:

A child's level of giftedness will mean something different to every child, in every family, school, and life situation. No one can say, your child is profoundly gifted, so they cannot survive in traditional school. This may be true for many pg children, but not for all. There are no hard-and-fast rules...

But there are some generalizations. Moderately gifted children tend to do well in the regular classroom, with the added challenge of differentiation, a gifted pull-out enrichment program or mild acceleration in their areas of strength. Highly gifted children tend to do well in congregated gifted classes, such as offered in a few larger districts across the United States. These classes are most successful when they use a more in-depth curriculum, which also moves at a faster pace. Gifted children are different not only in their faster learning, but by their deeper interest and level of understanding. Both these differences must be addresses in a successful educational situation.

Originally Posted by RRD

That's just a bit bizarre to me. How could they not notice he's a reader? Surely he's not the only one at age 5 reading. I still remember the day my then three-year-old's teacher called me in and asked if I knew he could read.

He's now five and also not going to learn a ton this year. But he very happily skips off to school and participates fully. I get your worries, and I have them too, but we're looking at things one year at time. If he's happy and making progress in weaker areas (like writing) without slipping or getting lazy, we'll keep the status quo up.

So I don't have a solution, but I do have a happy five-year-old who isn't going to see much new academically but will also have school time to build a weather airplane with radio antenna to let everyone know when bad weather is coming.

I hope your little boy enjoys as much as mine does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM