Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Audio books that you both listen to and do other things while you listen? Like riding in the car, folding laundry, playing with Lego and you can talk about it together. Or reading aloud to him and leaving off at a exciting point then leave the book by his bed. My younger son at that age couldn't stand it and would find the book.

Bedtime is this time but if you read it is another 30 minutes later.

Magazines, books, newspapers strewn across the house.

Finally, help him find non fiction topics of choice in addition to fiction.

S
    S
    We saw a lot of success with "Bedtime is at 9, but you can have a flashlight and a book until 10". Since DS6 just started formal schooling we had to get rid of this practice as we have had to work on getting up at 6 sharp every morning. Since we stopped flashlight time DS hasn't read a single book. He's always been a reluctant reader, but he loves books when he actually bothers to read them. It's amazing how motivated he became to read when the options were read or lay quietly in your bed in a dark room smile He ended up reading over 200 books in just a few months.

He also frequently doesn't finish books. Could be related to his ADHD. I also think he sometimes gets bored with a book when the newness wears off.

DS does love having us read to him. He gets very into the stories and talks about the characters and events and looks forward to reading the next chapter. He even cries when reading time is over some nights. But he never picks up the books the next day to read it himself.

Good luck and post here if you ever find the solution. I'd love to figure out how to actually get DS to love to read!

B
    B
    It's hard with so much other content out there like you-tube video's, TV, movies, computer games. Books just don't have the same draw.

My DS17 wasn't very interested in reading fiction in K-2nd. He read a ton of non-fiction. We had (and still do) tons of books about animals, dragons, whatever you name it. The text within many of these books are a lot harder than most fiction for this age. Keep in mind that a lot of early readers fiction books are honestly not that interesting & very predictable and twee.

And as other parents suggested. I read to my son every night before bedtime a chapter at a time. Good children's literature that was above his reading level. Sharing the enjoyment of a good story helped. What you don't want to do is make reading a chore or something he only does for homework and make him hate it at this age.

Good Luck.

T
    T
    If he's got soccer four timesa week he's probably plenty busy on school nights, has he got free screen access on the weekends? I'd definitely limit that, Have you tried offering him an ereader? Works great for ours if they happen to be reluctant.

A
    A
    There is a series called Boy vs. Beast designed for the boy reluctant reader. It is available on e-readers as well and there is a game component to it. Try it out: http://www.boyvsbeast.com
    I have heard rave reviews from parents whose boys were reluctant readers - this series seems to have turned things around for them.

L
    L
    One of our DC is a novel reader and the other is not as much. DD8 far prefers graphic novels (our library has a great selection and I make purchase requests to enhance it), but also poetry, joke books, and magazines. She also won't finish a novel if it doesn't appeal to her. We also read aloud to her daily and she loves audio books.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM