Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That's a lovely story!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Yes - my DS8 is like this. He recently attended a camp where there was acting. He came home and told me that his camp counselor said something that DS did NOT agree with. Apparently his counselor told him that DS was very good at acting and liked the British accent he used in his role!

Another counselor told me the same when I dropped DS off the next day.

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of not wanting the attention (that comes from praise) and perfectionism (he feels it wasn't perfect).

I have another relative who is the same way.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    HJA, our sons are sooooo alike! That sounds exactly like something DS6 would do/say.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    When you pick up your DS at school and he's bawling his eyes out because his friends (yes, he is developing friendships!) want to start a rock band and he's beyond heartbroken because he's pretty convinced that you can't play the flute in a rock band.

Of course, he hasn't even learned to play any instruments yet (they start piano lessons in a few weeks), so he's really getting ahead of himself. crazy

I promised we could search for a rock band that has a flutist. Any ideas anyone?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by RRD
    When you pick up your DS at school and he's bawling his eyes out because his friends (yes, he is developing friendships!) want to start a rock band and he's beyond heartbroken because he's pretty convinced that you can't play the flute in a rock band.

Of course, he hasn't even learned to play any instruments yet (they start piano lessons in a few weeks), so he's really getting ahead of himself. crazy

I promised we could search for a rock band that has a flutist. Any ideas anyone?

OMG - Jethro Tull. Flute in spades.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by amylou
    Omg, you have just made me so happy! Can't wait until the end of the work and school day so I can share with him! Yay.

Originally Posted by RRD
    Originally Posted by amylou
    Omg, you have just made me so happy! Can't wait until the end of the work and school day so I can share with him! Yay.

Check this out, being a Jethro Tull fan myself I am old enough to remember when almost every movie sound track had a bootsie Collins like bass line with obligatory groovy flute interludes:-

great rock flute solos

Obviously, you may need to filter the above list depending on age and willingness to expose fragile young minds to the likes of the Beastie Boys - LOL

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/18/16 06:47 PM.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Manheim steamroller?

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    So... DS8's OEs continue to flourish in spades. One of many: He constantly needs to be reminded not to interrupt, interject or blurt out answers, questions and theories in class. I've finally suggested to the teacher that he might benefit from a notebook where he could jot down all of his ideas and questions, so that he could save them for a more appropriate time. If only his desire to learn and exchange on ideas could be channeled more effectively!

Btw, if anyone is interested in reading about OEs, I am finding "Living With Intensity: Understanding the Sensitivity, Excitability, and the Emotional Development of Gifted Children, Adolescents, and Adults" to be pretty interesting and informative so far.

P
    P
    RRD - a slight variation that works for some kids: notepad or whiteboard where they can write the answer and angle it so the teacher can see. This way, they *do* get to answer immediately, but they don't interrupt, nor monopolize. Glad he's flourishing!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM