Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    che Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I'm looking for some advice/information on any gifted programs in suburban Chicago public schools. Our current school system does not offer any gifted programs so we are willing to move for a good program. My 5, soon to be 6 y.o, daughter is in 1st grade (we got her into KG early) has been identified as highly gifted by a psychologist (2+ grade levels ahead in math, multiple ahead in reading) so she needs a true gifted program, rather than an "honors" or "enrichment" program. Based on my research, Barrington's seems to be one of the best but I would love to hear if there's some other options out there.

N
    N
    District 54 in Schaumburg has a magnet program

F
    F
    Yes but Ill just say.. the magnet program does not serve 2e kids, which my son is and even though his GAI is in the 99.6th percentile... he is not in that magnet program due to the 2nd e

G
    G
    I'm pretty sure that Glenview has some type of program (or provides significant accommodations), but I'm not from that area so I can't comment further.

F
    F
    I don't think Glenview, Northbrook or Northfield schools have self contained classrooms. We have friends and family in those districts.

B
    B
    I have also heard great things about Barrington. I met a parent at a 2e talk, and her daughter attends Barrington High School. Her daughter is 2e, and she feels that her daughter's needs are being met. Each student gets assigned a school advocate which is a contact point for the parent and the student to navigate any issues which may arise(along with general "keeping track of"). The parent stated that this advocate was very helpful.

Also, the Naperville district is also supporting. There is a very active 2e gifted and gifted parent organization.

A description of their group: 2E Sos
    The email for the group is: 2E Sos

"SOS for 2e is primarily focused on providing support and solutions that empower the parents of 2e students to be better advocates for their unique gifted learners. However, we have found that our role includes driving increased awareness and expertise within the school system. To do this, we have taken a three-pronged approach:

Provide support meetings where parents can talk through their personal experience and gain knowledge, resources, and solutions from other 2e parents who know exactly how difficult and different it can be with a 2e learner. These are the 2e Support and Solutions meetings that we hold monthly. These meetings are for parents only.

Provide Guest Speaker Events by bringing in guests who have expertise regarding learning disabilities, gifted learning, and other 2e issues and concerns. These include clinician psychologists, education advocates, and other experts who can help us gain a more accurately informed understanding of 2e learners. We invite and encourage parents, as well as, teachers, school administrators, and others to join us at these events to learn more about 2e. Parents, Teachers and School Administrators may attend these events.

Communicating and sharing concerns, resources, and solution ideas among parents and with districts as appropriate. We have opened up a dialogue with both District 203 and 204 to continue asking questions and raising awareness about the 2e experience. This includes discussing processes and approaches that not only impact the 2e learner, but in many cases, may impact all learners.

Over the past several years, we have definitely made some progress in raising 2e awareness within our districts. Not to mention, our group of parents has grown steadily and significantly from about 20 families to over 200. In addition, we have seen an increase in the number of teachers and administrators attending our guest speaker events and we welcome their commitment to learn along with us. We see this increased level of interest as a very positive step toward better understanding and support for our 2e students. It also creates an opportunity for the schools to hear the frustrations and challenges that we are experiencing in a solutions-focused setting. Changing perspectives, raising awareness, and empowering parents - even if it is only one at a time - is progress we are proud of.

Thank you for all of your support. We always welcome your thoughts and ideas, and we look forward to seeing you at the next event and/or meeting.

Sincerely,

The SOS for 2e Team

Sincerely,

The SOS for 2e Team"

The email for the group is: 2E Sos

Last edited by barbarajean; 09/15/16 04:42 PM.
    H
    H
    My child is in gifted programs at Barrington and we have been very impressed. Feel free to pm me if you have questions. I know of another in the Schaumburg program and they have had a very good experience as well.

C
    che Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you everyone for the information! :) I am glad to hear about positive experiences with Barrington. I'll have to do some more research on Schaumburg & Naperville as well.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM