Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Thank you for the suggestions. The Amulet and A Wrinkle in Time look like they would be terrific reads, but they both look like they would be too scary for both boys at this point. Zita the Space Girl was definitely on the line in terms of level of comfort.

Anything more lighthearted would be great at this point. It doesn't have to be great literature - after all, we tear through about 5-6 books a day (some are still picture books)!

N
    N
    Maybe Rapunzel's Revenge will interest them without being too scary (by Shannon Hale)

For fast light heart reading - maybe The Bad Guys books will be amusing (by Aaron Blabey)

R
    R
    I think the Ramona books would work for this age, too. They're not graphic novels, but they're relatively easy.

http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/beezus-and-ramona#cart/cleanup

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    L
    L
    My son loves the Jenny and the Cat Club series and also the Catwings books. They aren't graphic novels but both series are charming and not scary at all.

We also read some of the Little House on the Prarie books lately and those were a hit. They contain so many fascinating details about pioneer life and descriptions of how things were made. My son loved them.

B
    B
    26 Fairmount Avenue is an 8-volume illustrated autobiography of Tomie dePaola's childhood, from about age 4 to 8. We are doing it as a read-aloud series, but be perfect as independent reading for any kid 4-8 who was interested.

_
    _
    Thanks for this list! DS6 is reading about 3 chapter books a day right now and I'm in need of new ideas.

One series I didn't see that DS loved (and has asked me to preorder the 4th book released son) is:

Fiction:
    https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Einste...11&sr=8-1&keywords=frank+einstein+series

_
    _
    Thanks for this list! DS6 is reading about 3 chapter books a day right now and I'm in need of new ideas.

One series I didn't see that DS loved (and has asked me to preorder the 4th book released son) is:

Fiction:
    https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Einste...11&sr=8-1&keywords=frank+einstein+series

B
    B
    Heck, I want to read that.. I've always loved Tomie dePaola's work!

Originally Posted by bedgebog
    26 Fairmount Avenue is an 8-volume illustrated autobiography of Tomie dePaola's childhood, from about age 4 to 8. We are doing it as a read-aloud series, but be perfect as independent reading for any kid 4-8 who was interested.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    L
    L
    I just reserved some of the Frank Einstein books at the local library. I think my son is going to LOVE them!

My son has recently become obsessed with the Nathan Hale graphic novels. The first is called "One Dead Spy" and it's about the revolutionary war. His favorite was "Big Bad Iron Clad", which was about the Civil War.

M
    M
    A Wrinkle in Time, both novel and graphic novel versions were a big hit with DD6. She says the series is now one of her all-time favorites, up there with HP.

She also really enjoyed the Amulet series. I got into it too but I'm not really sure if I would have let her read it if I had pre-read it as I should have.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM