Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hey, friends!

DS7 is fascinated by origins right now, so I'm trying to start more or less at the beginning of many of the subjects we'll be studying to make a sort of unit study out of the beginning of things. I was hoping to find a fairly child-friendly book on the history/origins of numbers and mathematics, but I'm not finding much.

Does anyone know of any good books on the history of numbers/math for a child reading at the 7th grade level or below? Easier is fine.

I am checking out a number of adult books on the topic (I hope! At least in some tangential way...) and I have some Internet resources from www.livingmath.net. But I'd love a book or two we could read and discuss.

Thanks for any help you can offer! smile

Kriston
    How The Story of Science Aristotle Leads the Way by Joy Hakin? It's about history of science and math. I haven't read it yet, but I have it at home. Let me know if you need more details.

The Teaching Company has A history of Mathematics course on sale. Can you tell I happen to browse their catalog today?

LMom
    M
    M
    I started reading "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea", it was really interesting. But, like most of the really good books these days, I didn't have enough spare brain cells to finish it, lol. It's not a kids book, but I think it would give you lots of topics for discussion.

There is a time warp trio book on Mayans which focuses on their numbering system, including zero and its advantages - could be a cool one if he hasnt already blasted through that series.
    I remember when I read this one to ds in 1st grade, the teacher reported having to ask him not to write his math work in mayan...again, I am the crazy mom who thinks we should be encouraging these sorts of explorations - LOL!

You might find a chapter or two in books on Eyptian or Mayan culture and history which might suit.

I'd definitely start w/ www.livingmath.net. That's where I got the books I"ve used. I have Julie's Primary lesson plans. We've read "the History of Counting" among others.

I'm trying to do a timeline of our history along with science and math but doing it afterschooling is tough.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    BTW, in case anyone else is following the leads they find here, the last name of the author of the book LMom suggested is actually Hakim. Of course, it's not available at my library, though it's in their catalog.

<grumble, grumble>

I'm still looking...

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    BTW, in case anyone else is following the leads they find here, the last name of the author of the book LMom suggested is actually Hakim.

Thanks for pointing it out. It's not like I didn't have the book right in front of me when I was typing the post. Oh well, may be I need glasses too wink

I wanted to edit my original post, but it won't let me frown

Last edited by LMom; 08/21/08 06:52 AM.

LMom
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL! No worries. Let she who has never made a typo or misspelled an author's name cast the first stone.

You'll note that no stones are coming your way from me! grin

I just appreciate the tips! Thanks!

I'm debating about the Teaching Company DVDs. Even on sale, it's a pretty big investment for something I'm not sure DS7 will like. Have you used them with your DS, LMom? Do they work well for kids like ours? Is it mostly a guy lecturing, or is it visually interesting?

Kriston
    Hi Kriston,

I really enjoyed Isaac Asmimov's nonfiction writings on science when I was 7-12 years of age. I'd poke around on wikipedia to get the book list then go to amazon and look up the titles. He has a lot of math in all of the books.

Almost all of this stuff is available at our local used book stores for $1-2$.

The complete set of his non fiction stuff would be a very good basis for any kid ( or adult) to learn about the world.

To answer your question, I really liked this book so far as a readable and technical discusion of numbers and their use over time.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-History-Numbers-Prehistory-Invention/dp/0471375683

Originally Posted by Kriston
    I'm debating about the Teaching Company DVDs. Even on sale, it's a pretty big investment for something I'm not sure DS7 will like. Have you used them with your DS, LMom? Do they work well for kids like ours? Is it mostly a guy lecturing, or is it visually interesting?

DS6 got "The Joy of Mathematics" for his birthday. We've seen only a little bit of it so far, but DS was fascinated and so was I. But then the course is highly recommended for gt math kid and it's taught by Arthur Benjamin who is a very good lecturer (as you can remember wink) I will have to write about it once we get a little bit farther in the series.

This is the only course I got from the Teaching Company so far. If it goes well, I may try others. I know nothing about the History of Math though. Any chance your library would carry it? Try asking on the Davidson list about math history books.

LMom
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM