Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    A few assorted thoughts:

The SB5 is able to generate IQ scores up to 225, using extended norms, just as the WISC-IV was able to extend up to IQs of 210. (Some of this information may not have been available to Hoagies at the time the cited article was written.) SBLM scores also extend well into the 200s, but are on a completely different scaling. I believe some of the sources cited above may be confounding SBLM-style ratio IQs with more contemporary deviation IQs, which is not contributing to clarity.

IQ test-documented giftedness is a particular kind of academic-focused giftedness, with its own value. This does not preclude the existence, or deny the value of, other kinds of giftedness--including other types of intellectual giftedness--perhaps not so readily measurable on a standardized instrument.

All terms are short-hands for much more complex and nuanced constructs, and tend to accumulate social-emotional accretions over time, often resulting in their eventual abandonment, under the weight of these overgrowths. (E.g., at the other end of the cognitive spectrum, such previously neutral terms as idiot or mentally retarded.) We use these terms only for convenience in communication. As soon as they become obstacles to effective communication, they lose their purpose.

Perhaps we would all benefit from occasional reminders that human beings are much more than labels or scores, neither is our value ever defined by them.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    G
    Indigo, none of your HG+ vs PG arguments make any sense to me, and I really don't think at this point that is going to change. You are seeing what you want to see. Maybe I am, too. Let's agree to disagree.

Val #233607 09/08/16 09:13 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Val
    Kids with high IQs still have to learn to tie their shoes and change their socks and be polite and fit in and a thousand other things that aren't relevant to how quickly they can learn multiplication tables. My interpretation of many messages on this board (an on email lists I'm on) is that "PG" kids stand apart and must be treated as though they are just so different from other kids. Again IMO, this is a really bad idea that tends to isolate a child rather than help him see common ground with the rest of humanity, of whom he is a member.

This is completely applicable to DD6.

It hasn't always been easy but I am really glad that we opted to work on her challenges and weaknesses. I think she would be a happier person because of it.

D
    dusty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I think people are getting confused and twisting indigo's words.

1) He believes the DYS is lowering its standards by accepting those outside of being PG-- NOT this forum. This forum is welcome to all and he has been emphatic about that.

2) He does not care about people's LOG other than to state as an absolute fact that one is PG when they are not or have evidence they are not.

3) Don't give out advice in a BTDT manner when you don't infact have BTDT experience, especially when you're a regular and others may lax their usual awareness of internet advice.

I absolutely agree with indigo. When your child is a rarity and you have trouble finding other rarities it doesn't make life easy when everyone has a "rarity", too.

Val Offline
    Agreed.

I want to argue, too!

What are we arguing about?

I can help!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I want to argue, too!

What are we arguing about?

I can help!

It's about time you showed up. ;-)

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Originally Posted by indigo
    All are welcome!

It has been stated by several posters that one need not be PG to benefit from the forums... however embellishing one's intellectual gifts or level of gifted (LOG) may not be helpful, especially in the context of giving BTDT advice to others. smile
    indigo, it seems that I'm not the only one who feels somewhat unwelcome by comments such as the above.
    People choose their own feelings. Some may raise taking offense to an art form. Here is a recent post which discusses taking a stand for free speech and thought (foregoing politically-correct coddling and the issuance of "trigger warnings" which are meant to avoid potentially offending anyone). While the setting in the linked article is a college campus, the same underlying principles may apply in other venues.

Originally Posted by RRD
    For reasons I won't get into at this point, I am rather convinced that DS6's test results do not necessarily accurately reflect his LOG. I would be interested in starting a post on that topic because I'm a bit flummoxed by what's going on with him. But when folks make statements like the above, it makes me want to leave the forum altogether.
    On the forums, agreement is not necessary. Please do not expect all posters to agree with you at all times.

Originally Posted by RRD
    Why would it matter so much whether anyone is embellishing theirs or their child's LOG anyway?
    This has been addressed by other posters:
    Originally Posted by Val
    I do care, because making a claim about being "PG" when it isn't true can lead to all kinds of problems. For example, if people are fabricating giftedness, their posts can't be trusted. Yet we can't know who's making it up, and so parents here may be believing advice based on experiences that never happened. This could tend to harm their children rather than help them.

Also, if a false claim of giftedness is made in real life, it can make teachers cynical when an actual HG+ kid comes along. How many of us have had to convince teachers that our kids really are gifted in the face of a belief that parents make it up? That belief isn't formed in a vacuum.
    (And if anyone here is fabricating giftedness, please stop that.)

Everyone knows that they can't take advice proffered on here as gospel
    Possibly this is part of the reason you are hesitant to post about your aforementioned dilemma?

Others may disagree, but I find your responses belittling. You could have just suggested that I misunderstood your point, but instead you chose to criticize me. I find your comment that "Some may raise taking offense to an art form." to be rather offensive in and of itself.

I have followed this thread with an overwhelming sense of appalled sadness.

I have seen spats here over the years but nothing like this one - my word!

Can we all please go back to assuming positive intent, agree to disagree sometimes (after fully stating our positions) before moving on now?

Become what you are
    I
    I
    Linking to a thread with article - "How to Raise a Genius", as it seems to discuss topics touched on here, including identification... and potential identification controversy.

The article also provides comparative achievements from cohorts in the top 1% of childhood intellectual ability and the top .01% of childhood ability, based on a longitudinal study.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM