Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Hoagies webpage summarizes the approximate equivalent test scores. These are overall test scores, Full Scale IQs, not individual subtests nor GAIs. Various tests have different scores corresponding to 3SD+ from the norm, 99.9th percentile.
    In reality, Hoagies doesn't actually answer the question. It's rather a clearinghouse of information about what various professionals think. And it should be clear that there is not agreement. Some believe that PG should come down to include 145 and above because more modern tests don't differentiate between higher LOGs well, but...

Originally Posted by Hoagies
    these levels are still under investigation.

One ought not to conflate scores from different tests, as the levels of gifted (LOG) are distinct and represent progressively higher scores.
    That is true, but all of the ranges are different, depending on the test. Some scale's notion of HG starts at another scale's notion of PG. EG is probably the most convoluted, which is probably why you don't hear the term standalone that much.

HG is not synonymous with PG.
    HG+ is not synonymous with PG.
    HG+ would include those who are Highly Gifted, Exceptionally Gifted, and Profoundly Gifted.

Simply stating this does not make it true. smile I believe that the burden of proof is now on you to demonstrate otherwise.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by George C
    HG+ is not synonymous with PG, specifically PG is farther to the extreme right tail of the bell curve as compared with HG. HG+ is an attempt to be more inclusive, by combining kiddos with lower scores (HG) together with kiddos in the PG range.
    That is not my understanding. Can you please provide examples which lead you to believe that the term HG+ is meant to include kids who have scored lower than a 145? Because I cannot find anything that suggests that.
    You are repeating yourself. Please see that I have already addressed your challenge, in this post.

Everyone does not use the term PG in the same way. Even the Hoagies page you've recently linked to says that there is no common agreement on how any of these levels of giftedness are actually defined.
    There is agreement that Profoundly Gifted is 145+, 3SD from the norm.
    Who is agreeing about this?
    The DYS criteria and the Hoagies chart approximating equivalent FSIQ scores and LOG agree on this. These were the sources of identification criteria previously introduced into the discussion.

Here's another source ("adapted from Hoagies") that suggests that PG is 6 or more SDs from the norm. There is a school for the "highly gifted" in California whose cutoff score is the 99.9th percentile. Call that what you will, but please don't call that agreement.
    I have not called that agreement. You have introduced new resources into the conversation as though to obfuscate the issue.

Yes, and no. smile I think having a kid score within the error range of 145 or higher on a standardized intelligence test means two things. First, it means that it's very likely that they will have educational and advocacy needs that go beyond (or sometimes well beyond) what most schools can provide.
    Some may say that schools could provide for the educational needs of these students with flexible cluster grouping by readiness and ability, without regard to grade level or chronological age.

DITD clearly must feel that they can help provide with the needs of the global PG kid as well as the one-index PG kid or the PG kid with a high IQ index but not high achievement.
    There is always the possibility that legal action has caused the greater inclusion.

We should be celebrating that notion that they can cast their nets wider now than when the program first started.
    Inclusion is great, so long as new populations do not supplant the profoundly gifted kiddos which Davidson set out to serve. smile

G
    G
    **Edited**

Nobody owns the definition of LOG: not you, not Davidson, and certainly not me. As you have said previously, this is an all-inclusive community, and we support each other no matter what we decide to "call" our children (or words to that effect). Let's stop tearing people down who use terms in a different way that we would like them to. No one is eroding anyone else's space.

Last edited by Mark D.; 09/08/16 09:06 AM. Reason: violating board policy
    I
    I
    In reality, Hoagies doesn't actually answer the question. It's rather a clearinghouse of information about what various professionals think. And it should be clear that there is not agreement. Some believe that PG should come down to include 145 and above because more modern tests don't differentiate between higher LOGs well, but...
    To clarify, Hoagies webpage summarizes the approximate equivalent test scores. These are overall test scores, Full Scale IQs, not individual subtests nor GAIs. Various tests have different scores corresponding to 3SD+ from the norm, 99.9th percentile.

The equivalency table may be seen as similar to a conversion between centimeters and inches. The numbers will change when a different measurement instrument is utilized (cm side of tape measure vs. inch side of tape measure), even when the same object is measured and found to be the same (equivalent) size.

HG is not synonymous with PG.
    HG+ is not synonymous with PG.
    HG+ would include those who are Highly Gifted, Exceptionally Gifted, and Profoundly Gifted.

Simply stating this does not make it true. smile I believe that the burden of proof is now on you to demonstrate otherwise.
    No, there is no burden of proof on me. You suggested "HG+ as synonymous with PG" and have been unable to substantiate that, beyond stating that you have an "impression".

Meanwhile I have demonstrated that HG and PG are two distinct levels of gifted, in this prior post, and cited the source.
    Hoagies shows four levels of gifted, each with progressively higher scores:
    1) Gifted (G) or Moderately Gifted (MG)
    2) Highly Gifted (HG)
    3) Exceptionally Gifted (EG)
    4) Profoundly Gifted (PG)

I
    I
    Nobody owns the definition of LOG: not you, not Davidson, and certainly not me.
    It may be wise for members of the gifted community to become aware of the terms, working definitions, and sources which inform beliefs, in order to facilitate meaningful communication.

Let's stop tearing people down who use terms in a different way that we would like them to.
    I have not torn anyone down. However your statement "I have to say, indigo, that your level of pedantry absolutely astounds me" may be seen as a personal attack and does not add to the conversation in a positive manner.

No one is eroding anyone else's space.
    Time will tell. Inclusion is great, so long as new populations do not supplant the profoundly gifted kiddos which Davidson set out to serve. smile

Originally Posted by Lepa
    While we are on the topic, I have been feeling like I shouldn't really participate in this forum because I do not have a PG child. How do people feel about people with children who are only gifted or HG participating?

the forum has traditionally be open to anyone with questions about giftedness.

on the other hand parents may wish to be aware that some may be drawn to gifted forums in effort to cut down tall poppies and force equal outcomes for all.

---wow, have never had that feeling on this forum. does that really happen? what an odd waste of someone's time. Hm.

G
    G
    It may be wise for members of the gifted community to become aware of the terms, working definitions, and sources which inform beliefs, in order to facilitate meaningful communication.
    At the same time, they should become aware there is no standard definition for ranges for a given LOG. Hoagies is incredibly clear about this. Pretty much the only thing that one can glean is that it's likely to be a needs gradient (though not the only one). MG/HG/EG/PG is simply a model to think about those needs increasing as rarity increases.

Let's stop tearing people down who use terms in a different way that we would like them to.
    I have not torn anyone down.
    You have recently called out one member for using the term PG in way that was not to your liking.

However your statement "I have to say, indigo, that your level of pedantry absolutely astounds me" may be seen as a personal attack and does not add to the conversation in a positive manner.
    What I meant to say was that the level of pedantry that you are applying to your argument makes it extremely difficult for me to follow you. This discussion, as a result, has simply become noisy, and I find that astounding.

Time will tell. Inclusion is great, so long as new populations do not supplant the profoundly gifted kiddos which Davidson set out to serve. smile
    Again, Davidson sets their parameters and is solely responsible for accepting people into their programs. I would think that Davidson knows their own mission the best, and I applaud them for reevaluating their minimum qualification criteria from time to time to best align with this mission. If families who have been with their programs for a long time are starting to feel supplanted, I would hope that they bring it up with a program director about how their needs are no longer being met and not just generally be frustrated that the minimum qualification criteria has changed.

Last edited by George C; 09/08/16 07:57 AM.
    I
    I
    At the same time, they should become aware there is no standard definition for ranges for a given LOG. Hoagies is incredibly clear about this. Pretty much the only thing that one can glean is that it's likely to be a needs gradient (though not the only one). MG/HG/EG/PG is simply a model to think about those needs increasing as rarity increases.
    Yes... "as rarity increases"... thereby indicating HG/HG+ is not synonymous with PG.

The point you made, which I challenged, was that HG/HG+ was synonymous with PG. It is not. I believe that you now see there is a difference... let's move on. smile

I have not torn anyone down.
    You have recently called out one member for using the term PG in way that was not to your liking.
    On another thread (in which you pointed to this thread, and in which you expressed dismay that one might embellish a child's intellectual gifts) I asked a poster whether her child tested as PG, then later cautioned posters to consult other poster's history and understand the source of their child/ren's "PG" label when deciding how to weigh the advice offered... in light of the embellishment of their child/ren's intellectual gifts. My post only pointed to posts made by that individual and did not "tear down"; Quite the contrary, I shared that all are welcome, there is no need to embellish a child's intellectual gifts.

Originally Posted by George
    However your statement "I have to say, indigo, that your level of pedantry absolutely astounds me" may be seen as a personal attack and does not add to the conversation in a positive manner.
    What I meant to say was that the level of pedantry that you are applying to your argument makes it extremely difficult for me to follow you. This discussion, as a result, has simply become noisy, and I find that astounding.
    By level of pedantry, do you mean citing facts rather than "impressions" as a source? I believe the thread became difficult to follow due to your refusal to accept that HG is not synonymous with PG.

Again, Davidson sets their parameters and is solely responsible for accepting people into their programs. I would think that Davidson knows their own mission the best, and I applaud them for reevaluating their minimum qualification criteria from time to time. If families who have been with their programs for a long time are starting to feel supplanted, I would hope that they bring it up with a program director about how their needs are no longer being met and not just generally be frustrated that the minimum qualification criteria has changed.
    This thread pre-dated DYS qualification changes. Raising awareness and discussing pros-and-cons is healthy.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Originally Posted by Lepa
    While we are on the topic, I have been feeling like I shouldn't really participate in this forum because I do not have a PG child. How do people feel about people with children who are only gifted or HG participating?

the forum has traditionally be open to anyone with questions about giftedness.

Well, I think the forum has changed quite a bit recently. Personally, as someone whose kids have not been formally tested, I do not feel comfortable posting much, if at all anymore. One of the issues that I found fascinating when I first joined the forums was the issue of whether to test at all, an in depth discussion of the pros and cons. Frankly, I'm embarrassed to have suggested the forum to acquaintances and friends who had questions or wanted advice about gifted issues.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM