Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
    D
    dusty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I think those getting hysterical or offended need to get a grip.

It's very easy to share what one believes without misleading.

"Suspected PG" √

"I think my child could be PG" √

"My child's results say he is MG, but I can't shake the feeling it'a closer to PG" √

*Looks at MG results* "My child is PG" x

Oh, but wait. It's suggested that I'm insecure, so I better agree. Everyone is PG!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by dusty
    I think those getting hysterical or offended need to get a grip.

It's very easy to share what one believes without misleading.

"Suspected PG" √

"I think my child could be PG" √

"My child's results say he is MG, but I can't shake the feeling it'a closer to PG" √

*Looks at MG results* "My child is PG" x

Oh, but wait. It's suggested that I'm insecure, so I better agree. Everyone is PG!

And I think some of the touchiness is that it reminds us a lot of "all children are gifted", "we can't ability group because it is elistist", "your child's test results mean nothing to me". We don't expect to hear that here whatever LOG our children are.

I don't claim my HG kid is PG. I find it hard to believe my PG one is though and not being in the US there is nowhere else to go.

Last edited by puffin; 09/09/16 06:00 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by solaris
    I was horrified by the idea that someone will take the advice to read a poster's history... To me, that feels like an invasion of privacy...
    It is difficult to imagine that a person has an expectation of privacy when posting publicly on the internet. This was discussed recently on another thread. Here is one post to raise awareness.

If all are welcome, they should be welcome to say what they feel is right about their children.
    Board rules provide guidelines:
    Originally Posted by Board rules
    Remember that this is a public forum. This is not a diary or a private journal. Try not to post any information that will allow others to identify you, your children, or anyone else. Give enough context so that people reading your posts can offer helpful replies, but be mindful when providing test scores or other detailed information.

If their children are indeed not what parents say they are, leave it to posters to discern it for themselves.
    Absolutely, posters need to decide for themselves how to weigh the information which others post.

Honestly, some of the advice about stating LOG that I read some posts up smack of insecurity more than anything else.
    No one needs to state their child's LOG, but if they choose to, it may be best to not overstate it.

This used to be a safe space when I was first here many years ago.
    I believe encouraging honesty is intended to keep this a safe place.

It was such a welcoming space and I think it was also somewhat of a "holding" place for many of us whose kids had not yet qualified for the DYS program and were desperately searching for answers.
    Many posts show the forum still serves that function.

sometimes it's nice to come back here to see if I can help someone like how this board helped me all those years ago.
    There are always requests for information, and topics tend to repeat with some regularity. Please jump in at any time to provide help!

I am so glad to say that many of my friends with PG kids, the 0.01% and rarer types, are so much more humble and accepting of all flavors of gifted than a couple of the posters on this thread are.
    I believe all flavors of gifted are accepted on this board, and offer as proof: One need not embellish their child's intellectual gifts to be accepted. Please invite your friends to also help answer posts on the forums, if they are not doing so already.

If your kids really are a rarity then why not stick to the boards that celebrate that rarity
    Which boards are you suggesting?

Why can't all of us have a conversation and learn from each other no matter what the alphabet in front of the G is?
    My point exactly. Why change any other letter to a P before posting?

G
    G
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I was horrified by the idea that someone will take the advice to read a poster's history... To me, that feels like an invasion of privacy...
    It is difficult to imagine that a person has an expectation of privacy when posting publicly on the internet.
    While it may not seem like an invasion of privacy to me, it is nevertheless difficult to believe that other posters would comb through one's posting history to attempt to refute a statement.

I think many find it a little creepy when another poster asks you if your child tested PG, you answer that they did, then said poster goes through your posting history and essentially says, "No, actually he didn't. You told us this from 3 years ago, then this from 2 years ago, then you said this last month." Such actions invoke feelings of being interrogated. You may say that this is an all-inclusive community, but if your actions make others feel like they're being interrogated, that is the opposite of welcoming. You could also say that you're not responsible for how other people feel as a result of your actions, but that seems to indicate that you don't care.

After this topic, I'm tempted to go back and delete most everything I've said on this forum as well.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by George C
    It is difficult to imagine that a person has an expectation of privacy when posting publicly on the internet.
    While it may not seem like an invasion of privacy to me, it is nevertheless difficult to believe that other posters would comb through one's posting history...
    I also advise being cognizant of one's own public social media presence, their children's public social media presence, and their children's friends' social media presence.

In this age of data collection, including
    - whether a student is identified gifted,
    - facebook page,
    - other web accounts,
    people may be wise to carefully consider what they post.

Originally Posted by GeorgeC
    I think many find it a little creepy when another poster... goes through your posting history... Such actions invoke feelings of being interrogated
    Some may say it is wise to seek clarification and understanding through source documents.

Originally Posted by George
    After this topic, I'm tempted to go back and delete most everything I've said on this forum as well.
    When choosing to edit and/or delete old posts, posters may wish to consider what is a beneficial contribution to others on the forum ongoing, and what may have been largely/solely for a temporary purpose and/or for their own personal benefit. Posters may also wish to consider the possible impact on their grown children who may read these forums in the future.

Val Offline

Friendly reminder to everyone: anything and everything you post here can be picked up by web crawlers (e.g. spiders) and archived permanently. Sites like the Wayback Machine are public repositories designed to archive as much of the public web as possible. I mentioned once before that I was able to find messages there that had been deleted by a user here.

Bottom line, and this is what I tell my kids: once you post something online or message/email it, you've lost control of it. Don't post, email, or message anything that you wouldn't want to see published on the front page of the newspaper.

This is a public forum. The small community of active members here may make it seem intimate or make it seem like it's reasonable to post personal information and request that others not refer to it or re-post it. Neither of these ideas is true. And even if people here agree not to refer to your old messages, there's nothing to stop any of the other of billions of web users from doing that. If you don't like the idea of someone going back through your old messages, don't post them to begin with.

It's honestly a bit surprising to me to see adults who don't seem to fully understand the idea that everything posted online is public, for the whole world to see and refer to. And maybe repost. My DH and I emphasize this point repeatedly with our kids. The idea needs to be second nature if they're going to avoid being taken advantage of.

Val #233651 09/09/16 09:58 PM
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by Val
    It's honestly a bit surprising to me to see adults who don't seem to fully understand the idea that everything posted online is public, for the whole world to see and refer to. And maybe repost. My DH and I emphasize this point repeatedly with our kids. The idea needs to be second nature if they're going to avoid being taken advantage of.
    I fully understand the idea that everything posted online is public. I am ashamed of nothing that I have posted on this public forum, and I have kept my identity and the identity of my family hidden. (Did you actually think my name is George C? smile )

However, if people here on this forum are going to hold the words I have said years ago over my head and call it relevant, I don't see why I should make it easy for them to access it. Of course it's not impossible; it's simply harder.

Last edited by George C; 09/09/16 10:00 PM.
    G
    G
    Why can't all of us have a conversation and learn from each other no matter what the alphabet in front of the G is?
    Why care so much when they do?

D
    dusty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Why care so much when they do?

Surely, as an assumed gifted person yourself, you must understand what it's like: the investigative nature, being pedantic, to sense of injustice. I know I feel these things.

I know I enjoy going through past post and noticing those whose kids' ages and scores change over time. Someone wants their child to be hunger and therefore more achieving; or someone is suddenly more gifted because they chose tongo by the GAI incorrectly. It's interesting.

There's no laws to saw that no one can use the term "PG"; it would just be nice if we could just stick to decency and not mislead each other when we're meant to be in a safe place and can be quite intimate, sometimes.

I have my own enrichment club for PG kids. I deal with parents trying to deceive quite often. It's frustrating trying to find friends for my kids when they are such outsiders from the average community and the gifted community.

So, the question is: why doesn't it bother you?

I have read hundreds of previous posts by many posters here over the years. I always use the advanced search to look up things.
    For me it has been a treasure trove of information.

smile

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM