Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am going to ask her teacher and the other teacher who had the tutoring class they put her in for several weeks last year. I believe at the time her teacher told me that they put her in tutoring with some other kids who were behind because her work was careless and sloppy and they wanted her to focus on being more careful- but I just asked my DD and she said it was because she didn't know her times tables..so I will ask. I noticed that she will look at a problem and rush to finish it and miss something. I remember seeing her look at a math problem that consisted of three lines and she missed it because she didn't read all the lines - I had to get her to look at it again. I do know her teacher said that when reading out loud her reading was not as smooth as it should be for her age. A lot of these things don't seem like a big deal- but then I look at the big picture at how she's doing and it's not pretty...

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    If I look at her CAASPP scores it breaks it down to give you an idea of where a student is doing well and not so well. Categories given are Below Standard, Near Standard, Above Standard. I am also adding her percentile.

ENGLISH (60% percentile)
    Reading - How well does your child understand stories and information that he or she reads? (Near standard)
    Writing - How well does your child communicate in writing? (Near Standard)
    Listening - How well does your child understand spoken information? (Above Standard)
    Research/Inquiry - How well can your child find and present information about a topic? (Near Standard)

MATH (65% percentile)
    Concepts & Procedures - How well does your child use mathematical rules and ideas? (Above Standard)
    Problem Solving and Modeling & Data Analysis - How well can your child show and apply their problem solving skills? (Near Standard)
    Communicating Reasoning - How well can your child think logically and express their thoughts in order to solve a problem? (Near Standard)

C
    C
    Lots of good advice and questions above... which may help more than the thoughts that keep running through my mind when I read your posts on this topic.

Is there any possibility that she has checked out mentally from class due to it being too easy and is thus not paying enough attention to do well? Or has developed a habit of rushing through work for the same reason?

We did see some of the latter in ODS, which has required a mix of a better fit and encouraging him to show his work/manage the detailed steps.

Has she participated in any academic enrichment outside of school? If so, what's that experience been like?

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ConnectingDots - her focus even in preschool was always social and not academic. In kindergarden the teacher even had me take home alphabet flash cards because she didn't know her whole alphabet (even though they taught the alphabet in the preschool she went to) and they were teaching them to read and she needed to have it down. She did learn to read when all the other kids did, but she has never liked to do it.

She has never appeared gifted to me but I know she is (even without the WISC IV results that say she is HG). She has too much energy and always wants to make things. But now I can even see her starting to disconnect from the smart kids… her friends were all in the tutoring sessions with her last year. When she got into this one class (with the teacher I wanted for her - yay!) she said "but all the smart kids are in that class, I'm not smart." I don't think she's hiding though, I really think she has a problem with academics.

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi aeh -

I went back and looked at your interpretation of her results and I see what you are referencing. I will look harder at that.

Originally Posted by aeh
    Flipping back through some of our previous correspondence, I notice one trail that might be worth investigating is speech and language evaluation, to look at whether there are subtle expressive/receptive language deficits (as distinct from her very high verbal cognition). I would suggest that this is best in the context of a comprehensive neuropsych eval, which you may be able to access through your primary care physician.

I don't know this program specifically, but one resource might be something like this clinic in collaboration with UCLA: https://www.thehelpgroup.org/professional/the-help-group-ucla-neuropsychology-program/

P
    P
    I'll second the suggestion of a thorough neuropsych eval - some of what you've said sounds a lot like my HG+ dd who has a challenge with reading (she has difficulty associating sight with sound). It took quite a long time to find out what the challenge was, simply because she was able to compensate thanks to her other high abilities. Unlike your dd she did well in school, but she's a very driven personality who always wants to land on top and approaches almost everything competitively. When tested in school she always "looked" a-ok - because the benchmarks used at school for diagnosing challenges are so low.

I wouldn't go to a neuropsych specifically seeking out a certain type of eval or following a lead on a specific suspicion of what's wrong - I'd seek out a broad eval, let the neuropsych know where your concerns are (again, not the suspected diagnosis but what she struggles with in school, observations such as difficulty with oral reading or refusal to do certain types of schoolwork etc). The neuropsych will conduct a wide spectrum of testing which includes ability vs achievement and will then make recommendations. If there's a speech/language issue present, the neuropsych will likely refer you on to an SLP eval which will include more thorough testing of expressive and receptive language. Or if the neuropsych testing points to a different challenge, you'll likely have follow-up of a different type recommended. The neuropsych eval won't be the end-point of the journey (if there is a challenge), but it will be the place you can (hopefully) get a roadmap that shows you where your dd is starting and where to head next on her journey through understanding/remediating/accommodating/etc.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM