Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    DD is a high school junior in an IB program. Started about a week ago. DD came home and said that her Spanish teacher wants parents to sign off that students worked on their homework for 45 minutes. DD finds this insulting. I think that my signature is meaningless in this context. I do not monitor her homework. DD has been completely independent in scheduling her time and managing her homework for YEARS. She is an excellent student. Do I say something to the teacher or do I just sign off?

C
    C
    We have had to sign off on things occasionally- but usually only large assignments or commitments. I guess this could also be something just for the of the beginning of the year. We haven't started this year yet, but if I remember correctly, we had a few teachers who wanted signed evidence that parents had seen and reviewed the syllabus and/or course expectations,

My thought is that it is to defend against parents who go and complain when Johnny doesn't follow the rules and gets a bad grade. Yes, it's insulting, but I would discuss with your DD that it is not directed at kids like your her (or parents like you) and probably just sign it. But I am one who resists making waves; and anyway, there were lots of other things my kids found more onerous/insulting, (so maybe have the "choose your battles" discussion, too.)

Last edited by cricket3; 08/26/16 11:04 AM. Reason: Typo
    C
    C
    I would personally not find this worth cashing in some of my capital over. I would sign it and be done with it. But if it's keeping you up at night, you might try to come up with an alternate solution such as "as long as you are keeping an A and not missing assignments, you don't need a signature," and present that option to the teacher.

N
    N
    If your daughter is so independent why is she asking you for help?

A
    A
    I don't think knute974's daughter was asking for help, if I am reading it correctly. I think she just mentioned it to her mom and felt it was insulting...

N
    N
    But like most parents I believe they want to solve the problem. Knute was thinking of contacting the teacher. I think that's a last resort,

P
    P
    knute, I'd do one of three things - depending on how strongly you feel about it:

1) talk to the teacher about your concerns, as well as to the lead of the IB program (if there is a teacher lead).

2) have your dd talk to the teacher about why it seems unnecessary and counter to IB mission to have to have your parent sign off on this.

3) Accept it and just sign without requiring the 45 minutes.

And a few thoughts from me, re how I'd take it ... um.. 45 minutes for homework per night for *one* class - is the teacher nuts? How many classes does your daughter have, and when is she supposed to have a life outside of school? Why would a responsible high school junior need to check in with a parent re homework? Isn't the point of schooling to develop independent adults? And what if the homework doesn't take 45 minutes? What if your daughter is doing extremely well in Spanish with only 15 minutes a night? Why force her to study for a longer period of time?

(can you tell I'd be an unhappy camper with this lol!)....

Let us know what you decide to do -

polarbear

K
    OP Offline
    K
    I see it as my problem because I am being asked to sign off on something that I am not doing. I haven't talked to one of her teachers other than showing up at parent-teacher conferences since she started high school. I'm inclined to send the teacher an email saying that I am unwilling to sign because I am not monitoring and that whatever system they devise needs to be between the teacher and my daughter.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Let's take a different perspective. Say you are the teacher. Part of her job is to encourage students to develop good work habits that prepare them for post-high school work and study. Although some students (like your DD) have already developed excellent time management and responsibility skills, others have not. Unless the teacher is to follow every student home and watch them study, she must find some other, more time-efficient, means to support the development of these skills. This happens to be the solution she has chosen. It may or may not be the best solution for everyone, nor is it necessary for every student, but there is probably some history that suggests to her that it is typically necessary, generally effective, and reasonably practical. Since it is not personally directed at any one, it is actually much less insulting than if she picked a few students and publicly called them out on their poor study habits.

Any time you have group rules or policies, there will be some people who would follow those rules without them being formalized, many who will follow them because they are formalized, and a few who will follow them only under threat of consequences. There is no need to feel insulted because you happen to have the virtue of falling in the first category. E.g., I presume no one here is insulted that there are laws against theft, arson, and murder.

ETA: And on a practical note, if I trust that my daughter is exhibiting good work habits with regard to this class, I think I would simply sign off and call it a day, based on her self-report. One could sign with a note to the effect of "has met homework expectations." Though I might investigate a little further on the question of homework/study expectations school-wide, as a separate issue.

Last edited by aeh; 08/26/16 12:45 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    @polar bear, we cross posted. She is on a modified block schedule so they have class every other day. I agree that it does not foster independence or fit the IB mission. I don't see how inserting me in the process adds anything to her education when she is doing fine on her own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM