Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    DS17 started an online class over the summer to fulfill a graduation requirement. He did not complete it in time so was granted an extension based on his IEP. Now that school has started, he will work on the course during his supported study hall. His case manager, who leads the study hall, will support him in this.

I'm pretty sure the case manager has access to DS' school grade book. Do I give him access to the online school grade book, as well?

I
    I
    The rule of thumb is: NEVER share a login access with anyone. If someone is supposed to have access, s/he will be granted access by the powers-that-be.

Many institutions track who is accessing their systems. This may include the login credentials (userid/pwd), as well as IP address and information about the device, operating system, etc.

Some institutions specifically prohibit sharing access. Signing on using another's credentials may be considered illegal access, hacking, breach of system security. It may also be considered "impersonating".

Parental access and case manager access may differ. For example, a case manager may have read/write permissions and be required to enter a log or evaluation of student progress. Meanwhile a parent may have "read" permissions only, in order to view what has been posted.

To manage expectations going forward, you and your child, the student, may wish to have a conversation and decide together whether either of you will ask the case manager what s/he has access to, for what time period, what the case manager's role is, etc.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks, indigo. The case manager was asking about communicating with the online teacher or school, in this case in the context of helping DS login. But now we have managed that. The online grade book is read-only. I have my own login for that, and DH does, too. But there can also be other communications coming through it, too.

Good point that the case manager might need to log comments. That would apply to both the online AND brick-and-mortar schools.

Because of DS's history not turning in work and then lying about having done so, I would like the case manager to be aware of statuses each day. He could look at DS's account with him, after DS logs in privately. But I can imagine DS saying "oh, the site is down" when the CM asks to see it.

We have an IEP meeting Monday and I will meet the case manager for the first time, so that will be part of the discussion, I'm sure.

I
    I
    more to possibly add to your discussion...
    The case manager was asking about communicating with the online teacher or school, in this case in the context of helping DS login. But now we have managed that.
    Because of DS's history not turning in work and then lying about having done so, I would like the case manager to be aware of statuses each day. He could look at DS's account with him, after DS logs in privately. But I can imagine DS saying "oh, the site is down" when the CM asks to see it.
    As a parent with login access, do you have a means of contacting the online school's IT department, troubleshooting team, or user technical support desk, outside of being logged in to the system? For example, do you have a telephone number, and/or e-mail address? Possibly also a name of a specific individual or point person?

Given that the case manager has asked for the online school's contact information, it may be important to provide this information to him/her... as a problem with login, etc could occur again.

Depending upon the policy/practice of the online school and the brick & mortar school, you and/or your son may wish to introduce the b&m case manager to the online school, providing contact information and permission for him/her to access your son's online school account for a specified time period.

The case manager may need to know the policy/practice/process of the online school, for example do they automatically assign a ticket number for each contact? If so, then any claim by DS that the system is down may be met with the case manager requiring DS to provide the troubleshooting ticket number; This holds the student accountable. A motivated student ought to contact the online school's user support team immediately upon noticing that the system is down, and ought to obtain the troubleshooting ticket number.

The case manager could followup by contacting the online school regarding that troubleshooting ticket number to verify the details and receive an update.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM