Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Oh really? Well now that's interesting. I'd love to get her into a pure GT program, I think it would really benefit her. However, what would it mean for our family? Would we have to move to accommodate? We're in Georgia right now. I'm new to all this GT stuff, there was no such thing in the UK when DH and I were growing up!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I think you'll find that there are very few pure GT programs, as, by definition, they would be quite exclusive, which is counter to our prevailing educational culture in North America.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Nearly all gifted programmes are actually "high across the board achiever programmes".

J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks puffin and aeh, that makes sense. I guess if you make a program "too" exclusive, there wouldn't be enough students to warrant sustaining it!

B
    B
    All the districts aroud here seem to look for cogAT 98th percentile or above and MAP (at least one subtest, either reading or math) 98th percentile or above with a high score in the other subject as well. DD was 99.9th percentile for IQ, 99th Math and 97th Reading, we tried the self-contained gifted program and it was obviously something that catered to highly motivated kids who are very independent and like churning out papers, worksheets, projects, etc. What DD needed was more advanced content not more work. But she is 2e which played a big role. Biggest lesson learned is that gifted programs do not necessarily work for all gifted kids. She is still Id'ed as gifed in a new school and is placed in a gifted house of some sort for middle school (which also includes high achievers that are not id'ed as gifted) and she is subject accelerated for math. If that doesn't work either we may need to take her out of g/t and have her unidentified (hoping not, though, since the school seems well versed in 2e).

J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi blackcat, thanks for the insight! smile Your DD is obviously gifted and it would be a shame to have her unidentified as such. If only all schools catered for all types of gifted children.

My DD IS the kind who is highly motivated, likes to do projects for fun, etc., HOWEVER, it has to be something that interests her. I'm still surprised that her scores were so low as her usual scores are up there.

I don't if she is so much intelligently gifted as just extremely motivated and curious. Is there even a difference? I don't know. I find this all very confusing!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Jeeves
    I don't if she is so much intelligently gifted as just extremely motivated and curious. Is there even a difference?

There can be a big difference, but there's no magical binary distribution between the two. Some kids are both, some are only one or the other. Lots blend in the middle. Really bright, motivated kids tend to be really good at doing the normal stuff of school and life. They are well positioned for success in whatever they set out to do. Really gifted kids tend to be divergent thinkers, which can sometimes make them really bad at doing the normal stuff of life.

But there's also no clear line between "gifted" and "not gifted", just tendencies that seem to increase the farther you get from the norm. From what I can see, the further you move away from typical and towards HG or PG, the more likely you are to see those greater extremes of divergent thinking - and, often, the lousier the kid will do in a regular classroom.

A favorite quote of mine, somewhat paraphrased for thinking about what differentiates gifted vs bright/ high achieving, is "Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Gifted hits a target no one else can see."

Teachers do not like children who are aiming at targets they cannot see.

B
    B
    I see that divergent thinking a lot in my younger kid (age 9), who tested lower on the WISC (still gifted though) but I think he is actually MORE gifted than my other child. He also has a lot of unconventional views and thinks about things that most kids his age would not. For instance when I asked him if they say the Pledge in school and what he thinks of it, he started rambling on about totalitarianism, something abbut Hitler, it's a waste of time, could be learning instead, God has nothing to do with America so God shouldn't be in the pledge, etc etc etc. My other child doesn't even think about things like that. I think he is pretty good about keeping his mouth shut in school, but they don't seem to esp. appreciate critical or divergenet thinking in elementary school.

J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    blackcat, I think I would get on great with your kid! My DD does tend to think unconventionally, go against the grain, couldn't give a hoot what other people think BUT she gets on great at school for the most part and is really popular. So she's either just really bright and motivated OR she's really good at faking it!! Only one way to find out, get her tested...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM